For those who are using an ipilot as autopilot

General discussion not related to Lake Champlain.
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

For those who are using an ipilot as autopilot

Post by BottomDollar »

I just got this skeg extension for my bow mount and it is awesome. No need for the trolling motor prop at all, just a big rudder up in the bow using ipilot GPS or magnetic compass. It held course into a quartering sea today with the kicker locked straight, no thrust whatsoever from the trolling motor. Freakin' sweet. I'm a happy customer...best $100 I've spent on the boat in a while. The batteries should last literally for days without charging, as it's just steering.

https://leelock.com/product/lms-01-magnum-skeg/

I recommend calling Eric, the owner, to order if you're interested. He was super helpful and pointed me to the right model.

Cheers guys.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Re: For those who are using an ipilot as autopilot

Post by C-Hawk »

That is really cool. Maybe someone will come up with a unit without a motor altogether. Seems like only a matter of time.
BottomDollar

Post by BottomDollar »

C-Hawk wrote:That is really cool. Maybe someone will come up with a unit without a motor altogether. Seems like only a matter of time.
...though the motor is great for spot lock. They should make a cheaper one with a big skeg for AP only.
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

may have to try that one
BottomDollar

Post by BottomDollar »

fishingmachine wrote:may have to try that one
It's a night and day difference in any wind. The extended battery life is a bonus if you occasionally store the boat away from a 110 outlet. I found a thread on the ifish.com forums about guys making their own, then found this company that manufactures them. Since I can't weld aluminum I went with this one.