Slide diver lite bite

Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Slide diver lite bite

Post by Reelax »

Laurentide wrote:
JDK wrote:Great information in this thread. I consider myself pretty proficient about most techniques but the light bite is giving me fits. Just this weekend I bumped bottom in 34 feet of water with 60 feet of line out on a #3 setting. That is with 50 pound braid, 2.2 to 2.3 mph SOG, and trolling in as straight a line as possible. I though maybe my line counter was off but I measured at home it is spot on. Fun to learn and play. It is all part of the game.
Is it possible you were in a following current?

Had to be.. otherwise I want that diver... she is a deep runner for sure... I never seen a 50/50 diver ratio even with ring and weight kit...
Matt B
JDK
Species: Togue

Post by JDK »

You have to be right. I don’t think of current in relatively small lakes and along straight stretches of shorelines. As a said the learning curve is fun.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

With the slide divers I have found (and if you run a water wolf behind them you can actually see it) that even the slightest turn when they are set to the side planing settings they will go deeper. I have even found if I am trolling a cross wind (boat aimed straight but being pushed slightly to one side) that it will send one diver deeper than the other. That all said I use the ultimate kits most of the time and see 60ft with 100ft of line out.
JDK

Post by JDK »

Now that you say that Keith, I was trolling cross wind and it was the downwind rod. I had picked up a fish on that hump and was making another pass in the opposite direction.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

I always thought they ran pretty consistent, until I put a waterwolf on one last spring in shelburne bay. but when reviewing the video the lure would disappear up or down as the diver went up or down, and the camera would get darker as it went deeper. when I matched up the fish caught to my navionics track and and pins i was really surprised at how different it was running on what from my track was seemingly straight runs. All that said crazy stuff happens out on the water. I hung up a 4 color lead with 000 dodger fly setup in 60+FOW a few weeks back on Nelson Pond (it was on a turn, but was a flatline straight off the back)
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

The dive ratio does assume a baseline speed. I'd assume that's 2.5mph for salmon trolling on Champlain. So if you're turning to the diver side or going 1.5mph it will go much deeper than 3:1. I bumped bottom with one today going 2.3mph with 80' of line out in 30' of water going straight (but a little slow).
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Post by Captain Paul »

I find it is a 2.7 ratio ( what I mean by that is if you take the amount of line you have out and divide by 2.7 that will be close to the depth it is running at 100 divided by 2.7 =37 feet ) with big ring and no weight kit at 2mph. with 50lb braid and it does go deeper when in corners.
JDK

Post by JDK »

As I said a ton of great information. I posted this back in August 2017.

Borrowed a friend's Fishhawk this past weekend. I have no idea how that effects the dive rate.

As a test, I trolled at 2.0 #3 setting and 50 pound braid. Averaged a 2.7:1 dive rate

95 got me to 35
100 -38
110- 40
120-45
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Post by ThreeBuoys »

These have been deadly lately for suspended Salmon. Dial in the correct depth and watch the rod pop.
chilidog
Species: Salmon and trout

Post by chilidog »

I've only used the LB on a 0 setting dropped straight back between riggers and have had some good results. There is a learning curve along with quite a few things that can go wrong if you pull a crowded spread and some folks just don't care for half a pound of lead and plastic on the line while fighting a fish but for me I'll try just about anything for a cartwheeling salmon. :D

So here is my question, when you pull them at 3 or 4 setting, do they actually ride OUTSIDE the rigger cable/baits? Thanks!
nhjim
Species: coldwater

Post by nhjim »

absolutley they do. left 2 on split rock as trying to corner around it until figured it out. i would say 40' plus. also good to know when in traffic out there 2 boats passing both running them you will meet in the middle.
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

nhjim wrote:absolutley they do. left 2 on split rock as trying to corner around it until figured it out. i would say 40' plus. also good to know when in traffic out there 2 boats passing both running them you will meet in the middle.
Once passing Raz for a pic opportunity my lite bite set to 2.5 hooked his rigger cable 40ft away! Yea they pull way out and clear if set right. I run 2 riggers with cheaters, 2 slide divers and 2 lead core set on gunnels pointed out for a width of 24’ between lead sets and run without inline boards... it works great and you can turn sharp. This is the spread I use from June till Sept, and always provides action and NO tangles.

Lite bites often fire best in this spread. I can cover from 10 ft to over 100 with various presentations to increase bling as needed but usually start with clean lines. Riggers are usually 20-50 back and lite bites are 12-17 arm pulls back. Depths are picked to be at.. 1 just below the Thermocline, 2 just above it, 1 about 20ft above it.. and the 2 l leads just above salmon temp water no matter where that is. But usually highest Sets) These are MY secret numbers... Guess I am feeling open today..

Fish on!
Matt B
Ahhspray
Species: Whatever the lake will provide

Post by Ahhspray »

Reelax wrote: Lite bites often fire best in this spread. I can cover from 10 ft to over 100 with various presentations to increase bling as needed but usually start with clean lines. Riggers are usually 20-50 back and lite bites are 12-17 arm pulls back. Depths are picked to be at.. 1 just below the Thermocline, 2 just above it, 1 about 20ft above it.. and the 2 l leads just above salmon temp water no matter where that is. But usually highest Sets) These are MY secret numbers... Guess I am feeling open today..
Thanks for sharing your numbers. Much appreciated.

Possibly passed you last tuesday near Mallets ramp? You(maybe with Raz) were headed in, my son and I headed out around noon for 3 days on the water in our 1981 Sea Ray(yellow).
Totally rebuilt - 1986 22' Starcraft 220V CC T-top w/ 1986 Evinrude 140hp and 1978 Merc 7.5hp kicker
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

Ahhspray wrote:
Reelax wrote: Lite bites often fire best in this spread. I can cover from 10 ft to over 100 with various presentations to increase bling as needed but usually start with clean lines. Riggers are usually 20-50 back and lite bites are 12-17 arm pulls back. Depths are picked to be at.. 1 just below the Thermocline, 2 just above it, 1 about 20ft above it.. and the 2 l leads just above salmon temp water no matter where that is. But usually highest Sets) These are MY secret numbers... Guess I am feeling open today..
Thanks for sharing your numbers. Much appreciated.

Possibly passed you last tuesday near Mallets ramp? You(maybe with Raz) were headed in, my son and I headed out around noon for 3 days on the water in our 1981 Sea Ray(yellow).
Yup that was us.... ;)

How were the 3days?
Matt B
Ahhspray
Species: Whatever the lake will provide

Post by Ahhspray »

Well it was 3 days of staying on the boat and fishing with my youngest son ...so GREAT!

No real big salmon but we caught salmon. ALL salmon except 1 the WHOLE trip came on a small blue-silver pearl trout honeybee. I have the same spoon in silver instead of pearl and the salmon wanted nothing to do with it. We went through a lot of pro-cure smelt and it produced for us 2 or 3 to 1 over other scents we use. We found all this odd since the fish were coughing up big 6" alewives that probably don't smell like smelt, and certainly don't look like that spoon. Kicking myself that I only had that one copy of that spoon. ...more on the way now though. Blue/white was key for us for all species interestingly.

Got several very large pike 36"+, large perch 12-13"(master angler for my son) and smallmouth. All trolling.

Great week and we both enjoyed the pre-derby calm and Rozzi's, though we fought wind each day.
Totally rebuilt - 1986 22' Starcraft 220V CC T-top w/ 1986 Evinrude 140hp and 1978 Merc 7.5hp kicker