water temperature and fish

tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

water temperature and fish

Post by tamiron »

I have had somewhat of an interesting medical year 'til now :lol: but hope to jump back in!

It fascinates me that many of us fail to take advantage of what Mother Nature has to offer. Water density in fresh water revolves around 39 degrees F. as the most dense. Water both colder and warmer than 39 degrees is less dense and for this discussion will therefore be assumed that it floats on top of 39. 39 Will always seek bottom if not affected by current and surges. That means that during most of the year, well over 75% of the water by volume in Lake Champlain is always 39 degrees. During which time, predators and forage enjoy relative stability. The predators' foraging slows a bit due to lower metabolism needs bur they continue to grow at an incredible rate. Forage survives due to sheer numbers. Structure is till important, as are currents, zoo plankton, etc. This is critical because as the air temperature warms and cabin fever finally wins out, we venture out looking for warm surface temperature. WHY??? Because this is where all the fish are...no... it's because we want them to be there.

We'll talk more about warming later, but for now find 39 degrees, bait, structure and you will find undisturbed feeding fish. I have preached this for many years as a true disciple of the Finger Lake Bandits in NY. To borrow a recent quote from a former tester, either go deep ... or go home.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: water temperature and fish

Post by Reelax »

And Gerry thought I was crazy running a rigger down 50ft Saturday when I saw bait balls down there...... :oops:
Matt B
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Caught 2 at 48 the other day, same temps surface to 48 during a 20 mph wind. The one I kept had smelt in him.
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

The only bait I saw off the Winooski delta yesterday was down 100' and there were plenty of predators down there, too. I'd tell you what the temp was if I hadn't bought the wrong size probe batteries. But the surface was only 44-46.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Warming up out on the Broad Lake Andy? I guess next time up, I need to check a few spots, burn some gas and find some fish. I'm sick of the shallow water stuff, much prefer to drop down for some real fish.
BottomDollar

Post by BottomDollar »

C-Hawk wrote:Warming up out on the Broad Lake Andy? I guess next time up, I need to check a few spots, burn some gas and find some fish. I'm sick of the shallow water stuff, much prefer to drop down for some real fish.
Yeah, I launched solo out of shelburne late in the morning. My autopilot is broken so I just went with the 15-20mph wind and ended up out by the Winooski. It was the first actual fishing trip on my boat so it was mostly sorting out lines and gear. No releases but the boat still floats! It was a typical broad lake day...windy and rough. Nothing on the sonar in Shelburne Bay.
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

Predators and forage can be found there (39 degrees all year .... when not spawning). They may not be the most active, the highest number, etc. ... but they will be there.

You may need to develop different presentations ,,, more or less flash, better directional control to compensate for currents, better color management, forage size replication, better awareness of weather changes, predominate 48 hour wind directions, distance from lure to ball, wave and wind conditions that will transmit imperceptibly to ball depth, leader weight to keep lure at same depth as ball.

Create release leader from ball to line to indicate "extra" weight causing a "dipping motion". Check more often. Be more aware of water column presentation pattern. Try to create harmony not random chaos.

Please, please keep notes and share. This is the biggest part of the lake and is the absolute most difficult to over fish.
Last edited by tamiron on Tue May 15, 2018 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

Yeah, I launched solo out of shelburne late in the morning. My autopilot is broken so I just went with the 15-20mph wind and ended up out by the Winooski. It was the first actual fishing trip on my boat so it was mostly sorting out lines and gear. No releases but the boat still floats! It was a typical broad lake day...windy and rough. Nothing on the sonar in Shelburne Bay.
Broad lake windy and rough day ... add larger hook, bigger snap swivel, in line weight 3 -5 feet from lure.

Reduces chaotic action, keeps debris off the line longer and absorbs surges. Still may not work but definitely a change worth trying. Think outside of the box
BottomDollar

Post by BottomDollar »

tamiron wrote:
Broad lake windy and rough day ... add larger hook, bigger snap swivel, in line weight 3 -5 feet from lure.

Reduces chaotic action, keeps debris off the line longer and absorbs surges. Still may not work but definitely a change worth trying. Think outside of the box
Thanks for the tips! This is an interesting topic and I appreciate your insight.
Skylander
Species: That which swims & tastes good

Post by Skylander »

C-Hawk wrote: I guess next time up, I need to check a few spots, burn some gas and find some fish. I'm sick of the shallow water stuff, much prefer to drop down for some real fish.
Simmer down and stick to whats been resulting in releases. I'd say it hasn't produced poorly for an area of the lake that you had given up on years back... Wait for the Billy Bobs to run around and burn gas with!
campskylandvt.com
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Mark my words Reb, I will catch a 10 pounder this year, but it will be from 90 down on ON THE BROAD LAKE