Why do little stick baits work better than spoons in the spring for salmon??

troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Re: Why do little stick baits work better than spoons in the spring for salmon??

Post by troutcrazy »

I'm really glad to hear some people saying they still prefer spoons. Because I love my spoons! And I also hate those double treble hooks-- especially in my cluttered little canoe. I almost hooked a hole in my drysuit yesterday.

But now I'm thinking I should try stick baits a little more earnestly.

Is everyone using those yo-zuri pin minnows these days? Sinking? Floating?
Ahhspray
Species: Whatever the lake will provide

Re: Why do little stick baits work better than spoons in the spring for salmon??

Post by Ahhspray »

Thanks for starting this post Matt ...good info to consider.

Sinking or floating? - I tend to run MOSTLY floating for two reasons when fishing(for all species not just salmonids); When trolling I can always get my bait to run deeper if I want(weights, riggers, etc.), If I have to stop moving for some reason, my lures don't end up on the bottom(if it's nearby). There are definitely times where sinking lures would be an advantage for casting, stealth presentation below the rest of my terminal hardware, etc., but until I can afford both sinking AND floating in all my colors and patterns, I MOSTLY have been buying floating.

We've been having good success in the summer months using pin minnows as sliding cheaters on 3'-5' leaders. For us, they out fish spoons in that scenario. Maybe because the short leader puts it closer to the boat the rattle of the minnows bring fish to the boat where the spoons don't? Spoons produce better for us farther back it seems.
Totally rebuilt - 1986 22' Starcraft 220V CC T-top w/ 1986 Evinrude 140hp and 1978 Merc 7.5hp kicker