Do you have the right net?

digitroll (ron)

Do you have the right net?

Post by digitroll (ron) »

I just found at Dick's a week ago an improved net from Ranger. It's a Tournament series 458 and it sells for $58.99. I had $10 off coupon for purchases over $50. That helped ease the sting. I used to use my big Ontario net for bigger salmon and a smaller heavier rubber net for the fish under 22".

This is a light weight rubber mesh with openings measuring 3/4". It has very little resistance in the water. Nice flat bottom net yet deep enough and wide enough for our salmon here. It extends to 64" closed it's 31" which makes it very easy to store!. Perfect for our lake and tangle free for hooks. Self aligning octagon handle. It's super easy to use without the weight of a long extension handle that adds a lot to the overall weight. I will keep my Ontario net for Ontario. Now I can just run this one net on my vessel for 2018 instead of two nets. Fully extended in photo leaning against the wall at 64".

I also found a non-telescopic Frabil net at Walmart for $17 which is very super light for fishing alone to net fish one handed or for kids to use when netting fish over the transom.

jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Re: Do you have the right net?

Post by jimbow »

Thanks for the tip Ron, ;) a good net is important when it comes to releasing fish too. The larger opening nets made from conventional material can hurt the fish or even allow them to fall through it. So if you plan on releasing fish and you can't do it WITHOUT a net (ie:high gunnels or health/age issues) you should have a proper net.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

DIGITROL:

Keep 'em coming :D . Thank you!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

a very flexible handy net
digitroll (ron)

Here are the two nets side by side with the Ranger on the left extended fully at 64" and the cheap Frabil from Walmart one on the right that is a fixed length handle. The Walmart one is perfect if fishing solo and or having kids net fish over the transom and is traditional nylon. Very light and easy to use one handed.

finsntins
Species: salmon

Post by finsntins »

hey ron,have you landed any fish with this net yet?just curious as to the actual "resistence" in the water.the rubber net i have about rips your arm out of the socket when you put it in the water and makes netting fish solo very difficult.
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
digitroll (ron)

I haven' yet... but this rubber net on the left is for the net person with two hands. The lighter rubber mesh is 1/2 the weight of my smaller heavier rubber net. The net on the right is super super light and can easily be used by a solo fisherman. Or kids wanting to net a fish without the drag and weight.

Win-Win
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

good stuff right here nets are very important. i have been out with fisherman with tangle free nets and guess what they tangle and a mess trying to get the line and lures out.
digitroll (ron)

If I get out in January with Surprise I can give it a try if we have a break in this arctic weather with a January thaw.

The new lighter rubber net design mentions very light drag thru the water. It's very light to pick up unlike my older smaller hoop heavy rubber net with a longer handle.
finsntins
Species: salmon

Post by finsntins »

thanks for the info.ron.
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
digitroll (ron)

Nice short compare and contrast video shot this am. showing the difference of my old Ranger rubber net vs the newer lighter rubber Ranger version that has replaced running two nets in my boat for 2018.

digitroll (ron)

Website for Ranger Nets and this net is on their home page with specs:

https://rangernets.com