Bait/depth for salmon

ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Re: Bait/depth for salmon

Post by ThreeBuoys »

Since someone just mentioned Lite Bites....
Are most people running them on 50LB PowerPro?
I'm guessing in the Early Spring most will run them without the Ultimate Kit as the fish will be in the upper part of the water column?
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

You don't need the kit in the early part of the year, the kit would go too deep...the standard lite bite is fine. You can get depth running info on line which varies with the type/pound test you use. The info I found doesn't list a lot of different lines but will get you in the ball park. The Fish Hawk TD will be a real good indicator of how deep you are running at certain amount of line out. I use 30 lb braid with the kit for deeper applications and I use 20 lb mono for the standard set up. If you aren't using them on Kings I think it's a bit of over kill to use 50, however I've been told 50 Power Pro is the same diameter as most other 30 lb braid....just my 2 cents. I added some links below...hope this helps...

https://www.google.com/search?q=lite+bi ... 24&bih=615

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxCXPEspLHA

http://www.chitown-angler.com/fin-n-fea ... ver-setups
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

My feeling is the riggers will do a good job if fishing deeper than 70 feet. I like to keep my two standard Lite Bites running 40-60 feet deep most of the time from late June till December.

50#Power Pro!
ThreeBuoys

Post by ThreeBuoys »

Did I see on here somewhere that some are not bothering with the tubing as they were having issues with the Braid slipping?
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

If it starts slipping I replace the rubber piece as it degrades after a season or two. I never use the clear tubing. I think most run without the clear tubing.
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

Post by popster »

Bill
"POINTER"
ThreeBuoys

Post by ThreeBuoys »

Thanks. I knew I had seen it somewhere that most experienced users of the Lite Bite forego the tubing. I used 30lb mono last year and it was fine when a fish hit it hard, but the little guys wouldn't trip the diver and I had a hard time manually tripping when I wanted to bring it in.
grandpa2h
Species: salmon

Post by grandpa2h »

IN RESDING SOME POSTS FROM LAST YEAR,I THOUGHT :| THAT I WOULD PUT IN MY 2 CENTS WORTH,I SET BY CANNON TO BOTTOM TRACKING 4 FT. ABOVE BOTTOM WITH A SHORT LEAD ALSO WITH A CHEATER ABOUT 10 FT.HIGHER,. THE BALL FOLLOWS BOTTOM BUT WILL RISE IF A HIGHER SCHOOL OF BAIT IS FOUND,IF SO I DON'T TRY TO GO THROUGH THE BAIT BUT CIRCLE THE BAIT ,THAT IS WHERE THE TARGET FISH LIE IN WAIT TO FEED.IT WORKS FOR ME.