Wind = where?

tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Wind = where?

Post by tmcaul »

I think I remember reading a post (C-Hawk?) about handling wind and waves by trolling downwind and then pulling the gear, then turning around, motoring back to a place to start trolling again, and resetting the lines heading downwind.

Today a southeast wind is forecast. So, since we usually launch at Converse, we'll probably cross the lake and set up in the lee of Split Rock Point. That will keep us out of the wind until we get about 1/4 mile from Essex.

My question: (especially from Burlington south) does the wind govern where you fish?

Tom
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Re: Wind = where?

Post by C-Hawk »

Most certainly, when I'm mobile before camp opens. You can always find a place to fish. I have fished in 35 mph winds occurring on the main part of the Lake. You can always find a good launch favorable to conditions. Willsboro and Shelburne Bay come to mind. Westport is good for a North wind.
TUnamas

Re: Wind = where?

Post by TUnamas »

When it's windy, your described program of trolling downwind and then pulling the gear and resetting is the most comfortable program, but it may not be the most effective. Depending on the currents (and also acknowledging that I run a bigger boat), if you don't have an X4 or similar to gauge speed at the lure, then I would suggest trolling in quadrants. Pick a spot, let's say 200 m from Split rock. Then troll N S E and W. Some tacks will be far more comfortable than others, but those uncomfortable runs may be your productive runs too. When I single hand Serenity in tough conditions, I always deploy gear in my favored setting, but once it is in the water, I try to find the most productive angle (even if it isn't the most comfortable).