lure color

dry net
Species: cold water

lure color

Post by dry net »

we all seem to have our ideas on lure color selection for cretin conditions. I have done well with wonderbread on bright days and darker colors on cloudy days. I am curious about when to fish natural colors? Do you guys fish them just in clear water or is it a light thing ? thanks for the input, Matt
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Re: lure color

Post by jimbow »

Your question is one everyone would like to know I'm sure...I like to use natural colors in both clear water and under certain light conditions, especially bright sunny days myself. I also find that NATURAL color baits work well under MOST conditions since they mimic the natural bait in the body of water..you really can't go wrong if you put at least one natural color bait in your spread...
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

IMHO:

The best lure color all the time is the color you think is the best because you have confidence in what it has caught for you! ;)

You will always put it in your spread whenever possible and run it for as long as you can!

You will only abandon it when something else begins to work better for you.

Anglers are creatures of habit that allow self-fulfilling prophesies to come true.
Last edited by tamiron on Wed May 30, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
The River Rat
Species: Anything that swims

Post by The River Rat »

Honest words to live by, covered most of the bases within a few strokes.
A White
Off season
Species: Salmon/Lakers

Post by Off season »

True very True, I have a certain spoon I run, and it takes a very slow day to get me to take it off! I have atleast 6 of the same with me at all Times! Habit....... YUP!
"OFF SEASON"
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Post by Captain Paul »

Very well said Tamiron
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

I've often wondered what would happen if we hosted a casual "shoot out" that was limited to a single spoon pattern. Cop Car? Home Wrecker? Sausage/Gravy? Split Rock? I think the Lake's top rods would still rise to the top!! Which makes me think the pattern itself is secondary (but not to say it isn't important).
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

I've often wondered what would happen if we hosted a casual "shoot out" that was limited to a single spoon pattern. Cop Car? Home Wrecker? Sausage/Gravy? Split Rock? I think the Lake's top rods would still rise to the top!! Which makes me think the pattern itself is secondary (but not to say it isn't important).
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

It is true that some people just catch more fish than others. Being "fishy" is hard earned. In the mean time I'll try to learn every trick that I can until "fishy" status comes, if it ever dose. Good luck to all!
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

TUnamas wrote:I've often wondered what would happen if we hosted a casual "shoot out" that was limited to a single spoon pattern. Cop Car? Home Wrecker? Sausage/Gravy? Split Rock? I think the Lake's top rods would still rise to the top!! Which makes me think the pattern itself is secondary (but not to say it isn't important).
Here was a previous report under a different topic.

Re: water temperature and fish
Postby tamiron » Tue May 15, 2018 10:48 pm

You may need to develop different presentations ,,, more or less flash, better directional control to compensate for currents, better color management, forage size replication, better awareness of weather changes, predominate 48 hour wind directions, distance from lure to ball, wave and wind conditions that will transmit imperceptibly to ball depth, leader weight to keep lure at same depth as ball.

But how important is relative to all other variables??
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Post by ThreeBuoys »

I know this thread is a few months old at this point, but I have to say that there are periods of time where everything works. You could take a Budweiser can with a hook on it and it would catch fish. Then there are periods of time (like now) where you can try every spoon in the box and all you are doing is washing them. I think it has been said before, but everyone has their own favorites that they swear by. Are they successful because they get the most use?
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Post by tmcaul »

@tamiron

Jim,

Would you amplify on your reposted comments in this string...I am wondering what you have in mind when you mention "weather changes" and "predominant 48 hour wind conditions".

I don't want to anser my own question, but I can only guess you maybe considering a seiche and its impact on the thermocline.

Thanks.

Tom
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

When in doubt throw a sausage gravy and milk shake or a purple people eater out... 2 of my all time favorites...
Matt B
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

tmcaul wrote:@tamiron

Jim,

Would you amplify on your reposted comments in this string...I am wondering what you have in mind when you mention "weather changes" and "predominant 48 hour wind conditions".

I don't want to anser my own question, but I can only guess you maybe considering a seiche and its impact on the thermocline.

Thanks.

Tom
Tom:

The seiche can be a dramatic change to the position of the thermocline, but so can predominant winds, barometric pressure, etc.

Weather changes include approaching storm fronts, lots of rain (muddy water and temp change), many days of sun to warm up the water. Sunlight promotes algae growth that will "cloud" the water.
Very strong currents will develop at stream and river mouths as significant rainfall finds its way to the lake as well as debris that can be pushed by wind direction. Moon phases will also affect currents to a lesser degree.

Predominant winds will cause surface water to move in the direction of the wind and backfill with colder water. In the early spring sunny days will heat above water and shallow water rock formations like a heat sink and cause a rise in temperature to surrounding waters.

I recommend the use of a hand held tape recorder or your smart phone to keep track of as many "conditions" as possible every time you go fishing. Take a short time to create a form or some "shorthand" to document those conditions and the results that you had or didn't have.