Sebago Lake/Saco river trolling

Share info and fishing reports from waters other than Lake Champlain.
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Sebago Lake/Saco river trolling

Post by BottomDollar »

Not a report, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with either the lake or river. I have family in the area and may pull the boat to the coast this summer. Is Sebago comparable to Champlain in terms of tackle? Has anyone trolled for stripers in the Saco?

Kind of a shot in the dark here but if anyone has info I'd greatly appreciate the help. Thanks!

Andy
Black Ghost (Ken)
Species: Salmon et al

Re: Sebago Lake/Saco river trolling

Post by Black Ghost (Ken) »

I've never fished Sebego but ive heard about the salmon and I know that trolling streamer flies (like we do on the Black Ghost) is very popular. I believe our local stock comes from the Sebego clan too.

And have you checked out the bottom contours? If I were a salmon I'd want to live in Sebego.

I guess I'm not much help but I'm excited for your opportunity. Good luck!
Black Ghost (Ken)
BottomDollar

Post by BottomDollar »

Thanks Ken! Yeah, I was just looking at Sebago on Navionics, and I agree with you regarding the bottom structure...steep ridges everywhere.

I'll let you know how I do if I end up fishing there. I could be relocating to southern Maine at some point, too, and I'd like to make sure I end up somewhere that supports my obsessive hobby.

Cheers.
garymorissette
Species: trout, salmon

Post by garymorissette »

I Troll Sebago Lake alot i use the same methods that you use up on Champlain .and they work great . small spoons &small stick baits. on down riggers behind flashers .and lead core with dodgers.thewater on this lake is extremely clear. The stripers in the saco river are caught on tubes and sea worms or live lining, but saying all this Champlain is still the place to fish. the wife and i have been coming to Champlain for over 20 years . I just can't get enough
Sleepswithdafishes
Species: coldwater

Post by Sleepswithdafishes »

I have not fished Sebago but fished the Rangeley area some and the locals all praise the DB smelt!! So what I did was buy a load of DB smelts with some degree of luck but what I have found to work very WELL are Kokanee salmon tackle!! Seps lures Kokanee candy behind dodgers work very good!!! If im correct there are lakers in sebago also and the locals use sewn on dead smelt with good success!!! Maybe a touch smaller stuff than used on Champlain!! Thats my 2 cents worth!!! Good luck!!! Sleeps
BottomDollar

Post by BottomDollar »

Thanks very much for the replies, gents! Great info.

A freshwater angler really can't do much better than Champlain, and I truly hope that I can keep calling it my home. This forum only adds to the many attributes. Hopefully that'll sort out and I can just keep a tiller boat in Maine for visits.