Nelson and Caspian 5/19-5/20

Share info and fishing reports from waters other than Lake Champlain.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Nelson and Caspian 5/19-5/20

Post by keithm87 »

With crappy weather on the big lake and limited time to fish I headed out Saturday and Sunday on some local trout waters. Saturday we fished Nelson, decent 4 hours on the water, they had recently stocked it so we had our fun with stockie rainbows and also hooked into a mid 20's laker. The most excitement came from a leadcore dodger fly out 4 colors in 68 ft of water. Drag started to peel, and I thought we had a big one, after it quickly became apparent that instead I had the fastest sinking lead core in the world, hung up on bottom with only 4 colors out.
Sunday in the rain we headed to caspian to try our luck. We arrived to calm wind, but mist coming down. launched and headed for my favorite area in the back cove. Trolled around with nothing for the first 1hr, then decided to troll to a different area, and as we crossed the deep water a inline board fired, missed that one, as I was resetting the lead core next to it started going crazy, missed that one too. That would be a trend all day. finally on the 4th hit about 10 minutes later we landed the first fish an 18 inch laker that went back. we trolled around picking off fish most of the day, landed a nice rainbow and lost another nice one, lost a really nice laker behind the boat as well. In all we boated 10 fish, and missed another 20 or so.
It was a great day until about 2pm when it was time to leave. there was another boat loading, so we decided to troll till they loaded up, we rounded a bend with a rigger at 9ft in 18ft of water, and a board running in shallow, all of the sudden the rigger drag started going. we put the boat in neutral with 15mph wind pushing us toward a rocky shore and I try to work on the rigger. We get most gear in, but lose one lure that was on lead. The rigger was hung up on a friggen rope someone had running from shore after 10 minutes of fighting with it, the braided line snapped, ball and release gone. What was worse is while we were messing with that, our stringer of fish that was hanging off the boat somehow tangled in the same rope, breaking off the 2 fish we planned to keep, and they sank to the bottom in 50 degree water. I was so pissed off! All in all a good day of fishing, but we marked the spot on the GPS and will return in warmer water to recover my gear, and give the owners a good earful for not marking the hazard.
The River Rat
Species: Anything that swims

Re: Nelson and Caspian 5/19-5/20

Post by The River Rat »

A lot of action always a plus!
A White
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Wow that sounds like a good bite on caspian... have only trolled it once a couple years ago... may have to go back... how was the launch?
Matt B
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

The launch sucks as always... way too shallow and flat have to back the whole truck in the water and then go a little further to get the boat off the trailer. Everything we landed was pretty small, but we had a lot of bites. There are some nice fish in there, but mainly get little 17-21 inch lakers. We go usually once a year and do pretty well, almost always end up with a rainbow for the effort. It is a good place to fish before summer on days that champ is blowing, but once summer hits unless its a weekday and you arrive early and leave before the crowds your better off staying home.