"Ultra light" Fanatic!!!

Share info and fishing reports from waters other than Lake Champlain.
The River Rat
Species: Anything that swims

"Ultra light" Fanatic!!!

Post by The River Rat »

Let's give this a whirl! Personally, I've been a fishing addict since I could hold "green switch" which is what my father would give me and my older brother when we'd hit southern Vermont's (and northern Minnesota's for a period of time in my youth) streams and ponds. Along with the switch he "gear" us up with, give or take, 6' of used mono and a hand full of random hooks, sinkers and the occasional piece of rubber band or a soda ("pop" ta you fins out there!) can tab as so called lures! Occasionally they'd work. That was it. He'd say if ya want bait, go find some! These were the days when you'd give your kids a couple .22s and a brick of shells and say watch your brother! So catch our bait we did. I still have a vivid memorie of my ole mans face when me and my brother dragged back a 20# snapping turtle caught on one of those switches! Other than that it was typically 4-8" natives and pan fish. And that's where it began for me. Since then thousands of fish and a couple state records (one official and others released) have been at the end of my line, fresh and salt water. If there's a bite, I'm chasing it. Quickly I want to throw in my gratitude to the guys in the frostbite fleet that have allowed me into their circle and shared some of their knowledge with me that has taken them years to learn and perfect and also to my buddy from NH who introduced me to what Lake Champlain is all about. Back to the point, ultra light. To me it kind of just evolved over the years thru trailer and error and learning from my mistakes, as well as paying attention to the fish. I've learned i can get a lighter jig down faster, threw more current and have more sensitivity then with heavier gear, get more depth out of diving lures, more action out of jerk baits, spoons and spinners. Not to even mention the live bait aspect of running lighter gear. In most scenarios, fish want the most natural looking presentation (unless your trying to "piss off a big brook trout" with a pull tab off a beer can on your hook, like my grandfather would say) we can give them. Light tackle gives us just that, more action, increased sensitivity and the element of suprise! So, down falls, and there is some for sure. Your gonna loose fish, especially big ones! And hook sets can be tricky. The bigger the fish the tougher the mouth. I can't tell you how many big fish I've "rolled" over the years left to wonder what could've been! I think we've all been there. Your constantly retieing knots and checking leaders. But in the end it's worth it to get that extra bite you may not have. Hope nobody's passed out reading this! So here we go. I'll start with today's catch instead of going to far into the past, but feel free to put up your "ultra light" catches. I will mention the walleye picture I posted earlier this year was caught on 4# flouro was 30" long and weighed over 10.5#s. These pictures weren't the greatest but there from today.
Screenshot_20180513-182645.png
Screenshot_20180513-182645.png
Attachments
Screenshot_20180513-182553.png
Screenshot_20180513-182617.png
A White
The River Rat

Re: "Ultra light" Fanatic!!!

Post by The River Rat »

I'll get the hang of it !! That northern was 33.75" long and I'd say it was over 10#s. Caught it on a 7' ultra light with 3# Berkley micro ice main line, with a 6# flouro leader attached to a #1 owner hook with live shiner. Realesed Tight lines
A White
The River Rat

Post by The River Rat »

I will step back a couple years to show this fish... 42" 21# northern caught and released on 7' UL with straight 4# flouro to a small jig
IMG_20140330_091920.jpg
IMG_20140330_091920.jpg (10.68 KiB) Viewed 3316 times
A White
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Great read. Thanks for posting.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Nice work!! And great pictures.. Love the one with your daughter in the background!
Matt B
The River Rat

Post by The River Rat »

Screenshot_20180521-152312.png
Haven't put up any pics of fish caught on UL gear since last post since the last few outtings have been with heavier gear... 6#s + Made it out yesterday afternoon and worked the light stuff.
Gear used. (U.S.P. = Ugly Stick Pro)
7' UL U.S.P. 2# mono/ 1/8 oz jig n shiner
7' UL U.S.P. 3# micro ice/ jiggin rap
7' Light "eyecon" 4# flouro/ harness/crawler
Caught a few decent smallies and some year old eyes on the 2# gear
Screenshot_20180521-152545.png
Screenshot_20180521-152158.png[/attachment Larger Jiggin Rap surprisingly caught more panfish, smallies and year olds [attachment=4]Screenshot_20180521-152040.png
Screenshot_20180521-153526.png
The crawler harness brought the "nicest" eye of the afternoon at just over 17"
Screenshot_20180521-152229.png
Screenshot_20180521-152040.png
Nothing spectacular but always fun! Heaviest fish was a smallie just over 4.5#s on 2# mono. Nice fight in her....
Attachments
Screenshot_20180521-152040.png
Screenshot_20180521-152158.png
A White
The River Rat

Post by The River Rat »

Made it out this morning before hitting the "sweat mill" with my 2# setup and a hand full of shad darts to crank on some fresh water tarpon! Man are they a blast!
Screenshot_20180521-133436.png
That's a typical shad at around 2#s
Some get a good bit larger....
Screenshot_20180521-133546.png
Fish like this 24" 6#er are one of the best fighting fish out there. And can they pull... 6-7 min battle with multiple airborne maneuvers. Reminds me of a beauty silver launching outta Chammpy! These fish used to be considered "poor man's salmon" for good reasons. And the roe is fantastic. Unfortunately there has been no open season for the past few years. Something to do with NH legislator not filling correct papers.. so I'm told. All in all caught about a dozen of these beauties in an an hour and a half with 2 coming in over 5#s.
Screenshot_20180521-133629.png
Screenshot_20180521-133406.png
Screenshot_20180521-133608.png
Have caught around 30 so far this season and should have no problem hitting last year's mark of 500. If anyone who is in Southern Vt in the next month and wants to go home with noodle arms from fighting powerful leaping fish on UL gear, I have plenty of gear and take people out on the water regularly which is where the real action gets crazy with multiple fish on. Plus pick up 5+ # smallies on the regular. Keep em tight.....
A White
The River Rat

Post by The River Rat »

The shad setup consists of my go to UL rod 7' U.S.P. lined with 2# mono. Attached I run a 00 ball bearing swivel with a 12-16" 4# flouro leader ending with a 1/16-1/4 oz. Shad darts or Johnson minnow dart. Good luck
A White
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Damn Rat, getting nostalgiac! Let me preface this by saying my Dad isn't a fisherman. Sure, he has entertained my own interest over the years, but it's not his. Anyway, when I was in 2d Grade growing up in California, he promised me a fishing trip at the end of the school year if I excelled in certain spelling tests. I passed, and told him I wanted to catch trout on flies. Shortly, he told me that he had talked to a co-worker who said we should go Shad fishing on the Sacramento River and that he had booked a 2 day guided trip with Captain Bill Villa. I was dissappointed, but went along. We started with spinning gear and small shad darts. I asked lots of questions as we rigged up and as I made my first cast. How deep, how fast etc??? Then it happened. Lit UP! A big hen ran me around and around. For two days, we hammered them. We caught a few salmon too, but except for one big fish we ran down on the second morning, we stuck to shad. Day 2 I started to throw some flies, and it was WAY MORE EPIC than trout fishing. Shad pull HARD! I ended the second day with the biggest hen of the trip, on fly. Most were released, but we took a cooler full to the Sportman's Cannery in Emmeryville and had some smoked and canned and the rest just canned. Good stuff, and the start of a long road. Maybe I need to expand my local horizons and relive the old days!
The River Rat

Post by The River Rat »

Opportunity awaits!!!! :lol:
A White
The River Rat

Post by The River Rat »

Screenshot_20180527-111355.png
2# mono
A White
The River Rat

Post by The River Rat »

Screenshot_20180609-183054.png
4# fluorocarbon 7' ultra light
A White
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice catch on ultra light.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
The River Rat

Post by The River Rat »

Thanks Getcha. 29"er all the large ones are released.
A White
The River Rat

Post by The River Rat »

Screenshot_20180725-201209.png
Screenshot_20180725-201209.png (533.23 KiB) Viewed 2241 times
A White