Lake Willowby

Share info and fishing reports from waters other than Lake Champlain.
ATLSALMON
Species: Saltwater & trout & salmon

Lake Willowby

Post by ATLSALMON »

anyone fishing Willowby lately thinking about a trip there very soon . Thanks for the help
Vtmopar
Species: Everything

Re: Lake Willowby

Post by Vtmopar »

i would call wrights sporting goods they might have some info.
orange mooselock is a good spoon for there.
goodluck.
High Plains Drifter
Tire Jockey
Species: All

Post by Tire Jockey »

I should be up there fishing it next week! :D
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Me too! I'll be up that way this coming weekend. Planning on fishing Willoughby and one of the Averill's, for sure. May hit a few other lakes as well.

Good luck!!
Tire Jockey

Post by Tire Jockey »

Awesome! Hopefully I'll be hitting Echo and Seymour also.
Sleepswithdafishes
Species: coldwater

Post by Sleepswithdafishes »

I spent last week up at Echo!! Really wanted to land a few of the nice Rainbows that are in there, but it was not to be!! Fished a total of 8hrs over 3 day and landed 10 17inch lakers and 1 19 inch nice clean fish all were caught on DB smelt and all were at about 25 feet down!! Good luck and enjoy!!! Sleeps
Tire Jockey

Post by Tire Jockey »

Great to hear that! Just got the word I'll be up there all next week!! Can't wait! :D :D
Vtmopar

Post by Vtmopar »

How did you guys make out ?
High Plains Drifter
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

It was very slow for us. We got 2 small lakers on Big Averill our first day in the NEK. We fished Long Pond and Willoughby the 2nd day (Monday, 7/3) and only caught 2 tiny rock bass on Long and nothing on Willo (out of ~9hrs of trolling between the 2 lakes!). Just before dark we marked lots of bait just north of the boat launch on Willo in 45-50' of water. Ran lures in and around the multiple bait balls until dark without a hit. Marked only a couple of bigger fish around the bait.

Did get to see an osprey plunge into the water on Willoughby right next to the boat launch as we were just pulling away from the dock. He came up with looked like a 10-12" trout! He was a much better fisherman than we were!

How did you do, Tire Jockey?
Tire Jockey

Post by Tire Jockey »

I got to fish Echo On Thursday 6/29. Picked up one small laker and lost another. What a beautiful Lake!
Bad weather started moving in so i got off the water, was out for around 2.5hrs.

I Talked to a very nice lady that was checking boats at the launch, she said a lot of people go there for the Bass fishing, 6-7lb Bass in there is what she told me!

The next couple of days i got sick! WTF! Two days shot to hell, oh well what can you do.
Had a lot of stuff to do around camp so i didn't make it back out on the water until the following Thursday, hit Seymour for a couple of hours before the wind picked up, didn't catch anything but it sure was nice getting out on some different water.
Vtmopar

Post by Vtmopar »

Dragging spoons by hand with leadcore is what most of the locals do first few hours of light at seymour.
Thats too bad you guys didnt get into them.
Better than working still.
Im planniing on hitting seymour and magog sometime this summer.
High Plains Drifter
JTM203SOUTH
Species: SALMON

Post by JTM203SOUTH »

Fished Willoughby all day on Tuesday. Nice weather- probably too nice - water was almost like glass at times.Two hits with one no-show and one small Laker. Plenty of marks in the top thirty to forty feet and then on the bottom.

Fished Island Pond in the rain on Monday and picked up one small Walleye.

Sunday afternoon I fished Big Averill for a few hours and caught one medium Laker.

Both Lakers were caught on yellow/green MP6's. The Walleye, my first, was caught on a Crazy Ivan Sausage Gravy.

Water was colder than expected in all three lakes - mid sixties on top and 51-53 degrees at 35 feet.

Very few fisherman !
1999 Starcraft Superfisherman 196 "High Hopes "
1996 Starcraft Superfisherman 170 " High Hopes Too"
Tire Jockey

Post by Tire Jockey »

Thanks for the report! I'm heading back up on Friday 8/4 should be there for 8 or 10 days. I'll have the boat with me and plan on doing some fishing! I'll let you know how it works out! :D
JTM203SOUTH
Species: SALMON

Post by JTM203SOUTH »

We fished Willoughby last Friday and Saturday . Great weather and the lake was mobbed on Saturday with skiers, kayaks and paddleboards. The water temp was in the 70's down to 35 feet. There were marks throughout the water column both early and late in the day, but the fish in the colder water weren't interested in anything we showed them. Got skunked on Friday!
Saturday, on the advice of Keith Chamberlain who we met met at the launch, we fished the warmer 30-35 foot water level and picked up two salmon and a laker. We also dropped a couple of other fish. Best lures were silver / pink ( Crazy Ivan) and purple / pink ( Tamiron).
Not our best trip to Willoughby, but the Lake is one of our favorites and we will return later next month.
1999 Starcraft Superfisherman 196 "High Hopes "
1996 Starcraft Superfisherman 170 " High Hopes Too"
Vtmopar

Post by Vtmopar »

Thats good. Willoughby has been slow last 5-6 weeks.
Orange mooselook is my go to on that lake.
Or anything that looks like yellow perch.
High Plains Drifter