Mullett Lake, Michigan

Share info and fishing reports from waters other than Lake Champlain.
digitroll (ron)

Mullett Lake, Michigan

Post by digitroll (ron) »

The reason I haven't fished Lake Ontario since 2003 in August is due to our trip to Michigan to visit my wife's family. 16 hour trip each year each way. Normally I get out a few times to fish Kings in the Mackinaw straights on Lake Huron as a guest on a friends boat there. With the chronic wind there it becomes a one time 3 hour evening trip. Last year we didn't get out.

This year the plan was to fish nearby Mullett lake about 5 minutes away from the in-laws. This lake is primarily a walleye / perch lake and the DNR from Michigan began stocking rainbows / steelhead about 10 years ago to give fishermen other options. The lake is 12 miles long by 5 miles. There is plenty of water 80-120 feet with a nice thermocline that sets up at 40-48 feet this time of year. The best part it's a lot less susceptible to wind like Lake Huron or nearby Michigan. Crystal clear water down to 40 ft.

My Brother-in-law Rich lent me his 1988 20 ft. StarCraft Holiday model with a repowered 115 hp E-Tec and a 9.9 Johnson 4 stroke kicker from back in 2012. 4 Cannon riggers and 2 dipsy rods. 3 rods per license in Michigan for all waters. :)

I brought my Fishhawk TD to check out the temp. break. Chet who is retired fished with me the 3 mornings I fished. We landed 50% of our Rainbows 5/10 and 1 walleye for 10 hours total fishing with the lines down. Lost a couple of corkers and broke a monster off on the dipsy. Our biggest was a beautiful 28" 9.41 lbs. recorded on registered scales at a local supermarket. We used medium size mini-streaks in colored red taped patterns.

A great option now to fish on the family vacation trip in the coming years. My brother-in-law can't wait to join us next year!

jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Re: Mullett Lake, Michigan

Post by jimbow »

Those are nice fish!!! Thanks for the report and detail, that lake looks beautiful. What is the closest town to this lake?.. I bet the new Honey bee hex trout patterns and the 502 silver/cerise pattern would work great too.
digitroll (ron)

Cheboygan about 30 minutes south of the Mack bridge and I-75 that connects the UP. The lake is actually 9 miles long by 3 miles wide when I looked it up. My error.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Wow! Dandy fish on some great outings. Michigan rocks!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
digitroll (ron)

Mark Romanack (Fishing 411) has made 3 episodes of fishing shows on Mullett beginning in 2013 available on You Tube. Here is the latest 2016 show filmed a year ago:

Last edited by digitroll (ron) on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice fishing during your family vacation in Michigan. Thanks for sharing those great pics.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
digitroll (ron)

Thanks Gerry and Raz.

I missed posting this quick 10 second "You Tube" video of our set-up trolling in action:

Sleepswithdafishes
Species: coldwater

Post by Sleepswithdafishes »

Wow gotta love those Rainbows!!! Some day soon Champlain will start giving them up !!!! Ron looks like a great time with great results!! Thanks for sharing!!! Sleeps
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

wow ron nice bows and healthy looking. looks like a nice lake.
digitroll (ron)

Next year I plan on bringing 4 Offshore OR 12 inline boards with some 8 and 10 color lead reels to put on some of my brother in law's extra rods there to try it in Stealth Mode. Deadly spreading out the presentation horizontally as shown on Mark's fishing 411 shows. I also will convert his Huron big lake dipsy rods to Lite Bites with the intent of bringing out a couple Lite Bites to install on them. 3 rods a person is great! Take a few riggers out of the water and replace with OR 12 inline boards.

Always fun tweaking the presentation and taking advantage of a thermocline in the 38-50 ft depth in late August with lead set-ups and Lite Bites.
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

Ron, not sure if you have a Facebook account, but, if so, a friend of mine started this group that focuses on lower Lake Huron cold water fishing. There's some great info on kings, Atlantics, and steelhead fishing in that area. It's also very active with reports: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2637764 ... 2/?fref=ts

Those steelhead are really impressive for an introduced species!
digitroll (ron)

Thanks I will check it out. I will use my wife's Facebook account since I no longer have one since I retired.

The Huron fishing is better south of Rogers City and beyond. Way south of us since we are up north by the bridge in the Straights where it has declined badly the King numbers all season long.
digitroll (ron)

Northern Lake Huron has been in a similar death spiral with salmon fishing as explained in the DNR video with Lake Michigan: