New way to use Super Mag Honey bees

Share info and fishing reports from waters other than Lake Champlain.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

New way to use Super Mag Honey bees

Post by jimbow »

I just wanted to share a tip I just had pretty good luck with. I was fishing the Mohawk River today and not having much luck with my usual routine. I had made up a rig i was going to try with Flies on Champlain so I modified it slightly by replacing the fly with a double snelled hook rig and "dilly night crawler.
I came up with 7 bass and a very large (15") "silver" creek chub. The rig consisted of an Super Mag Bee (Tamiron) that I had custom taped using Jim's tapes in Flor. Chartreuse/Orange, I took the hook off the ring and put a snap swivel on and tied a 12" long double hook leader and attached small crawler. I will try and post a pix of the rig using a Magnum Bee and a rubber worm for demo purposes.url=https://postimg.org/image/4x2pyspap/]Image[/url]online photo storage

I was using my "little 13 ft Duranautic" with a 10 HP Honda, I don't have GPS on the fish finder but I know from past experience that I travel 1.90mph going up stream and 2.15 downstream when I had my other unit in the boat. At first the rig didn't work that well, I was using a "trip Z" diver (it's like a Jet diver only with a release arm like a dipsy) with a 6 ft leader to get the rig down. There was too much "turbulence" from the diver and the action was too erratic. I switched to a # 1 Tadpole and it worked fine. I sure this would work great on a down rigger too. Over the next 2 hours I picked up the bass and the "Chub" until I unfortunately found a snag which took my rig. I went back to my standard routine for another 2 hours with no luck. I think this rig will work very well with a streamer fly for cold water fish as well.Imageonline photo storageImageuploadimage
Last edited by jimbow on Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimbow

Re: New way to use Super Mag Honey bees

Post by jimbow »

I wanted to correct myself that wrote in the body of the above message, it was a Super Magnum Honey Bee, NOT the Ultra bee that I used...sorry!!!!! :shock:
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

No that is innovative... I bet it would hammer suspended walleyes!
Matt B
jimbow

Post by jimbow »

Another point I would like to make is I wasn't going very fast...Like a worm harness rig it has to be trolled slow for the best action, If I could I would have gone slower but my little motor wouldn't troll down that slow without sputtering. In fact I got more hits going up stream than down, there isn't a lot of current due to low water conditions so if you can hit slower speed I would. I would love to try this rig when the water temps drop this late fall and early spring with a streamer for the those fish near the top on Champlain. I did run the rig with the streamer for a little while in the river just to see the action, I think it could tolerate the speed I was going much better than the worm. Honey Bee's are weight sensitive, even the super magnums, and the extra weight and drag of the crawler demands the slow speeds. And Yes Reelax, I'm sure it would be a great walleye tool. I was targeting them but with the boat traffic and bright sun the only thing hitting were bass. I may try again real soon but the warm weather makes it difficult to target walleye, they like it cooler than the bass.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

GREAT STUFF! My hat is off to you Jimbow. That's a new one!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen