caspian trip.

Share info and fishing reports from waters other than Lake Champlain.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

caspian trip.

Post by Reelax »

Going to hit Caspian with wife tomorrow. Any suggestions? I never trolled it before.. 1 or 2 rods per person allowed? Spoons, sticks, flies, bling?

Depth, speed, spots?
Sleepswithdafishes
Species: coldwater

Re: caspian trip.

Post by Sleepswithdafishes »

Matt it has been some years since I last fished Caspian ! The boat ramp can be a pain in the butt its concrete!!! The bottom structure is very erratic and you have to be careful not to get hung up!! Some nice Rainbows have been taken over the years and some very nice Lakers!! Very pretty body of water!!! Cant really help with lures the times Ive fished there we used live bait!! Im sure you will figure it out!! Good luck!! Sleeps
will nolan (swilly)
Species: whatever bites!

Post by will nolan (swilly) »

Always fun in new body if water
Will nolan "swilly"
tench
Species: Everything

Post by tench »

I ice fish Caspian for lakers and rainbows and can definitely vouch for the erratic bottom. I figure that you'll find good fish trolling if you stick to the deep water around the humps. Smelt are the main forage. Almost the entire shoreline to the left of the launch is sand for quite a ways out, might not be a bad bet for a rainbow. If you don't get anything trolling try bouncing some tube jigs
Fishdawg
Species: Salmon

Post by Fishdawg »

Hope you had some good luck. Nice day to get out and explore I've ice fished Caspian, but never by boat. I've always wanted to.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

The best part if the day was we got to include Theresa's 83 year old dad and "uncle win" who is in his 90's and is a ww2 vet who stormed France on dday. His stories started flowing after a couple of hrs. I can't imagine being in a landing craft for 10hrs just to have it break down. He said at one point he hoped they would sink just so he could get off... Image .. The weather was great, no waves and mostly sunny. What a clean lake. Water was soo clean could see bottom in 30fow. No blow baits and minimal traffic. Biggest obstacle was the swimmers all over the lake, even in the middle! Image The bite was slow. The thermo cline was very distinct. 74 surface water, 67 at 28fow. Then 52 at 32 feet. 15 deg drop in 4 feet! Fish and bait in graph were all over thermocline. Image When we launched late at 9am, 3 fishing boats were coming off lake. I knew that wasn't a good sign. They had been yanking lakers and jiggin perch and had gotten a few lakers. And lots if 12" perch. Image We set a program with 2 riggers 2 divers and 2 leadcore with inline boards. Trolled fir 7 hrs. Only one release and it was a juvenile laker. Image Image Next time we include live bait jigs and hit it at 1st light. Great time and good company. The old guys really enjoyed the tour..
Sleepswithdafishes
Species: coldwater

Post by Sleepswithdafishes »

Very nice Matt!!! Its very hard to go to a new body of water and expect to do great first time out !!Im sure next time will be more productive!! Also very nice of you and your wife to take the older gents out Im sure they loved it!!!Sleeps
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Sleepswithdafishes wrote:Very nice Matt!!! Its very hard to go to a new body of water and expect to do great first time out !!Im sure next time will be more productive!! Also very nice of you and your wife to take the older gents out Im sure they loved it!!!Sleeps
DITTO!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

Very good of you to get the old boys on the water. The smiles say it all. Big catch would've been nice, but the big heart won this round. 8-)
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

Getting to spend time with men who lived through that experience and getting to hear those stories first hand would be priceless. Even with one small laker in the net, it will probably be a day you'll remember for life.