Lake St.Louis

Share info and fishing reports from waters other than Lake Champlain.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Lake St.Louis

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

What a better way to spent our Canadian Thanks Giving day with such a beautiful weather.
After the high winds on Sunday, Monday turned out to be an incredible day to be on the water. Almost no wind, and temp close to 80, we spend 5 hours on lake St-Louis, just west of Montreal.
Fishing in 65-85 fow, slowly drifting as we jigged for walleyes. We caught 46 walleyes, released most of them and only kept 7.
I also caught my first sheepshead, a huge 29" that would not collaborate. It was a real battle to get that beast off the bottom on my light action rod. Took close to 10 minutes to get her to the boat, but the net was too small to fit her in. Slowly and carefully grabbed by tail and mouth and lift her off the water.
Picture is for reference only, it's not a photo of the fish I caught.... did not have my camera on board.

I also caught an ugly 9" gobie, which did not survive being caught apart... and became fish food.
Tested my newly installed Simrad autopilot, still need some settings and fine tuning, but looks simple to use and very performant. Should be a great addition when chasing after salmons soon.

There are not too many of those wonderful days left before the big freeze, let's enjoy them when we can.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Re: Lake St.Louis

Post by fishmaster176 »

46 Walleye!!!!! Holy Smokes. That would be considered a great number for perch. Lots of great eating.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Wow your arms musta been sore... 46 eyes is a hell of a trip!
Matt B
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Reelax wrote:Wow your arms musta been sore... 46 eyes is a hell of a trip!
They were not keeper size.... many were on the small side, but still almost non stop action. Water is cooling off so the bite is improving. It should even get better in November... but I still miss being on Champlain for some tight lines with salmons.
MORNIN HOOKER(Marek)
Species: salmon, trout, perch, walleye

Post by MORNIN HOOKER(Marek) »

Congrats on your catch. HUUUge drum.
And these walleyes, 46 of them. !!!!!
It's like a dream, that's never gonna happen in Upstate NY.
What do we need to fish there? Permits, limits and fees.
Please let us know if you can.
Thanks
Gecha (Gerry)

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Hi Marek,
For sure Quebec requires a fishing permit.
As resident, I renew my permit every year. Not sure what is the procedure for a short term fishing for non resident. I am sure you can find all the required info on the web. I think is should be similar when we go fishing in VT or NY, we buy our annual non resident permit.
Limits differ based on the type of fish and where you fish, there are many zones and you almost need a map to figure it out sometimes.
Again, the web would be the best place to find all the info you need.

If you plan coming north of the border, let us know.
MORNIN HOOKER(Marek)
Species: salmon, trout, perch, walleye

Post by MORNIN HOOKER(Marek) »

Thanks.