Hudso River Stripers

Share info and fishing reports from waters other than Lake Champlain.
MORNIN HOOKER(Marek)
Species: salmon, trout, perch, walleye

Hudso River Stripers

Post by MORNIN HOOKER(Marek) »

"Morning Hooker" pay a visit four times to Hudson River. Nice clear low water, plenty of herring in every spot where current picks up a bit. Presence of shot-nose sturgeon and american shed. Sturgeon just being occasionally snagged, bur shad will hit herring fly. Let's talk about bass. VERY SLOW action as far as Catskill (my knowledge). Good size but few fish being caught in Troy, Selkirk, Ravena, Coxsackie. During our trips we caught only one fish, 34" long but pretty fat :D . Some nice shad. Putting downriggers back on today.
Attachments
20150505_091119.jpg
shirefisher
Species: all

Re: Hudso River Stripers

Post by shirefisher »

That is one nice looking fish! I'm going down some friends and family with 3rd Alarm charters on Thursday. I can't wait I have never caught a Striper worth talking about. It's on my list of fish to try and eat also as I love seafood and have not had the chance on this one. good looking fish thanx for the look!
Black Ghost (Ken)
Species: Salmon et al

Post by Black Ghost (Ken) »

Did you say "fly"?

What's you program? If you don't mind explaining.
Black Ghost (Ken)
shirefisher

Post by shirefisher »

wow! good times with 3rd alarm charters and Capt Matt Trombley.

We showed up In Connely for our first trip to catch Stripers in the Hudson. I was met on the dock by a couple of guys from Vermont that I knew who pulled the plug half way through their charter as they only landed one 19 inch striper after trolling all morning. I was worried I really wanted to get my Dad on one big fish.

After at least a dozen missed hookups. It all came together my Dad got to fight and catch a 22 pound, 36 inch biggun!

He loved it and I got to run the boat so it was a good team effort! My brother also caught a 38 inch monster!
Attachments
big striper.jpg
MORNIN HOOKER(Marek)

Black Ghost (Ken) wrote:Did you say "fly"?

We always catch herring that being used as live bait for strippers using herring ring. Dicks and Walmart sell them.
It is ready to use rig with six tiny flies. The name that's on the package is " Sabiki ". It got nothing to do with fly fishing, but sometimes big, fat american shad hits this tiny little fly and then it's a lot of fun. Tight lines.
Marek
MORNIN HOOKER(Marek)

shirefisher wrote:wow! good times with 3rd alarm charters and Capt Matt Trombley.

We showed up In Connely for our first trip to catch Stripers in the Hudson. I was met on the dock by a couple of guys from Vermont that I knew who pulled the plug half way through their charter as they only landed one 19 inch striper after trolling all morning. I was worried I really wanted to get my Dad on one big fish.

After at least a dozen missed hookups. It all came together my Dad got to fight and catch a 22 pound, 36 inch biggun!

He loved it and I got to run the boat so it was a good team effort! My brother also caught a 38 inch monster!
No doubt!! That's a nice catch. Congrats.
shirefisher

Post by shirefisher »

MORNIN HOOKER(Marek) wrote:
Black Ghost (Ken) wrote:Did you say "fly"?

We always catch herring that being used as live bait for strippers using herring ring. Dicks and Walmart sell them.
It is ready to use rig with six tiny flies. The name that's on the package is " Sabiki ". It got nothing to do with fly fishing, but sometimes big, fat american shad hits this tiny little fly and then it's a lot of fun. Tight lines.
Marek
hmmm herring for strippers? I thought they really went for the benjamins...