HUDSON RIVER STRIPER REGULATIONS

Share info and fishing reports from waters other than Lake Champlain.
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

HUDSON RIVER STRIPER REGULATIONS

Post by fishingmachine »

new striper regulations for the Hudson River 2015

One fish can be kept between 18-28" or over 40". Everything in between must be released.
digitroll (ron)

Re: HUDSON RIVER STRIPER REGULATIONS

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Sounds great! I am all in for this Reg. to protect the breeding fish up in the river 100 miles upstream from the salt. It's been 15 years since I have fished in early may down there but I have heard the fishing pressure has increased. I wonder if the Stripers are in trouble in the salt. Lot of males under 28" that are ok to keep though for the table. And I like the one fish per license.
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

Digitroll (Ron) wrote:Sounds great! I am all in for this Reg. to protect the breeding fish up in the river 100 miles upstream from the salt. It's been 15 years since I have fished in early may down there but I have heard the fishing pressure has increased. I wonder if the Stripers are in trouble in the salt. Lot of males under 28" that are ok to keep though for the table. And I like the one fish per license.
Big time. Every east coast state has a strict 2015 size limit that varies slightly by state (all are over 28") and they all have a one fish limit. The recreational community really came together to embrace the new regs. The commercial interests wanted status quo...they lost, the good guys won this one. The commercial fishery must comply with a 25% quota reduction.

The recreational anglers saw the precipitous drop-off first hand and acted accordingly.
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

I don't have a problem with it ,just wanted people to be aware of the changes.you don't need a NY fishing license if you are a Vt. resident but you do need a NY Maritime permit.
MORNIN HOOKER(Marek)
Species: salmon, trout, perch, walleye

Post by MORNIN HOOKER(Marek) »

Good news.
I do not keep any stripers myself, but many guys do.
And often it is a breeder.
Thanks for the info.