Giant Brown on a Fly

Share info and fishing reports from waters other than Lake Champlain.
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

Giant Brown on a Fly

Post by popster »

Bill
"POINTER"
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Re: Giant Brown on a Fly

Post by raz »

That was an awesome video..Thanks Bill.
We'll have those 30 inch Browns in Champlain soon! :ugeek:
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

WOW That was a nice fish.... 30" brown! and he had to wrestle it to get it in the net..

Thanks for the video Bill...
Matt B
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

That fish was caught a few years ago, and it's an amazing catch made all the more incredible to have been caught on film. What is it with these guys named Matt hogging up all the good river fish? Speaking of whom, anyone heard from Winooski River Matt lately?
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

I was just about to say I remember seeing the same video a year ago until I read your post, Scott. I've been out and about! Had a great Salmon Hole opener for walleye, even caught an 18 lb carp a few weeks back along with about 8 bowfin. Yesterday was a brookie filled day on the upper stretches of the Mad. I'm a bit behind on my blog, but I'm catching up.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Back in the day ie. 1980's when there was only Bill Saiff's Rod n Reel on PBS and Espn's fishing hole with Jerry McGinnis I remember one episode I have on a beta tape of McGinnis catching a huge brown on 4 lb test in a snowstorm on Flaming Gorge lake jigging from his bass boat.

I googled it and as Paul Harvey says "is the rest of the story" from that show:

McKinnis has more experience than he'd prefer in rescuing a no-fish-catching show at the last minute. At the top of the list would be a brown trout fishing trip several years ago to Flaming Gorge Reservoir on the Utah-Wyoming border. McKinnis and crew towed a bass boat through a blizzard to get there, then filmed two days in miserably cold weather without catching a fish.

The brutal weather provided part of a story, not a whole one.

"With no fish, I've got no way to tell the story," McKinnis said.

So after two days of fruitless trolling with a local fishing guide, McKinnis pulled out his secret weapon used often over the years – a marabou "crappie jig" tied to four-pound test line on spinning gear.

"We should have already loaded up and gone in. It was that cold," McKinnis said. "I remember to this day what that tick (on the line) felt like."

After first thinking he might have hooked a carp, McKinnis realized he had a monster brown trout on the end of his light monofilament line. After a long fight and one failed attempt at netting it, McKinnis finally boated the fish. It weighed 24 pounds and was a four-pound line-class record for a short while.

McKinnis refers to it as "the most important fish I ever caught."

- See more at: http://www.outdoorchannel.com/article.a ... PgFLh.dpuf
trolling460
Species: salmon-trout

Post by trolling460 »

thanks for the look bill nice fish :shock:
TEAM RockBottom