Planning a trip to VT

Check and share here for the latest Bass fishing reports.
Shallowrunner
Species: Snook

Planning a trip to VT

Post by Shallowrunner »

Hi my name is Mike and a few years back ( well more than a few :-) did a trip with my friend to lake Champlain and we had a great time fishing for bass and pike in lake and around Otter creek. I was thinking about sharing that experience with my daughter and making a 3-4 day trip up north from FL. I'm torn between hiring a guide as my 12 year old may not have a endurance to stick around for 8 hrs straight vs do it yourself kind of easy trip. I guess I'm looking for an suggestions regarding some hiking/easy wading places around Lake and Otter creek . We would probably stay around Burlington or Middlebury area. Not looking for honey holes but just to share my passion of fly fishing with my little one before she becomes full blown teenager. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated . I will be more than happy to share info regarding fishing for tarpon, peacock bass or snook in south Florida from land or boat or St Augustine area which I fished extensively for years. Thanks in advance.
Black Ghost (Ken)
Species: Salmon et al

Re: Planning a trip to VT

Post by Black Ghost (Ken) »

Mike,
I'm a fly fisherman but I dont typically go for the northerns or bass. The lower Otter certainly has a good reputation for these species but I typically look further upstream for trout or trolling in the lake for salmon/steelhead/browns. My recommendation would be to hire a guide for a couple of half days and spend the remainder of the days either fishing on your own or exploring Vermont. I would recommend the following guide service out of the middlebury area with lots of experience on the Otter.

http://www.streamandbrook.com/index.php/river-report/
Black Ghost (Ken)
Shallowrunner
Species: Snook

Post by Shallowrunner »

Thanks . BTW what trout are we talking about? I did Yellowstone a few months back with Lamar and Slough creek which was fantastic but I wouldnt mind to look for some brookies if they are around. We are catching reds and trout over here now especially reds are getting their tail really nice and blue from feeding on shrimps. Im already talking to that particular guide just trying to figure out all the possible options. Thanks
Black Ghost (Ken)
Species: Salmon et al

Post by Black Ghost (Ken) »

Wild native Brookies are in the upper reaches of most of the tribs to our bigger rivers. Most will not get much bigger than 8 inches. A few bigger fish can sometimes be found where the streams get a little bigger. The key is finding the cool water in a larger stream. Good luck.
Black Ghost (Ken)