Keeping smallmouth in live well

Check and share here for the latest Bass fishing reports.
reddogge
Species: bass

Keeping smallmouth in live well

Post by reddogge »

One of our group has fished in some big time FLW tournaments and told us hedoesn't release smallmouth back immediately but puts them in his live well to be released later. He claims they can somehow communicate to the other fish and the bite shuts down. That was a new one on me. Has anyone heard of this?
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Re: Keeping smallmouth in live well

Post by C-Hawk »

I guess when you fish for that kind of money, you can't afford to take chances. I'm not superstitious, but I wouldn't want a banana on my boat .Don't some of the big guns talk to the fish and themselves?
reddogge
Species: bass

Post by reddogge »

I couldn't tell if it worked or not. When we had three boats in the same area fishing and two are releasing them and one keeping them it is a moot point.
pman
Species: salmon

Post by pman »

What about your 5 fish limit????
Ahhspray
Species: Whatever the lake will provide

Post by Ahhspray »

Bees, wasps and ants send chemical signals to the other members of their societies to warn them of danger and signal attacks. Trees, yes trees, have been shown to send similar signals that alert other trees of the same species that they are being attacked by caterpillars, etc. I still have trouble believing that one but after seeing it on National Geographic AND Nova on PBS I'm gonna have to start believing it. For this reason, I would almost EXPECT that fish can do the same. Has anyone heard of a SCIENTIFIC STUDY that has a conclusion one way or another?
I just strike a deal with the fish before releasing it and give it the option to go into the cooler or keep its mouth shut and go back in the lake. They nearly always choose the lake. But every once in a while there's that arrogant loudmouth... :lol:
Totally rebuilt - 1986 22' Starcraft 220V CC T-top w/ 1986 Evinrude 140hp and 1978 Merc 7.5hp kicker
Cubanators
Species: Bass

Post by Cubanators »

it happens all the time where you catch 5 smallies from a school then the second you cull one out of your livewell the school shuts off
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Lots of fish "talk" or are able to communicate...not just bass.

Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Ahhspray
Species: Whatever the lake will provide

Post by Ahhspray »

Raz wrote:Lots of fish "talk" or are able to communicate...not just bass.
Raz - That is HILARIOUS! See, I KNEW they could communicate. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Totally rebuilt - 1986 22' Starcraft 220V CC T-top w/ 1986 Evinrude 140hp and 1978 Merc 7.5hp kicker
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

if sharks and other predators join in a feeding frenzy by vibrations in the water or whatever reason known only to the fish,why can't they warn others of danger from fishermen. they sure seem to get used to certain lures and avoid them,maybe that's why new lures and colors work so well for a while,then peter out.