1 day at Champlain, how do I make up my mind??

Check and share here for the latest Bass fishing reports.
pgr5039
Species: Bass

1 day at Champlain, how do I make up my mind??

Post by pgr5039 »

Hello guys,

I have never been to the lake before but, this weekend I get to fish with with a friend, we are launching out of Plattsburgh,NY.

I have been thinking about what to do while I have a limited time on the lake..perhaps shoals, ledges, drop-offs, weedbeds, outside of weedlines, humps and basic shallow water patters like flipping some grass or milfoil if I could find any, crank banks, spinnerbaits to cover water. I will be looking for 16-20ft of water to drop shot and use tubes, and maybe senkos.

Am I missing something? Totally wrong?
Please let me know what you guys think. Not sure what the water temp is or where a 5-limit bag is hiding..

Thanks,
Much appreciated
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: 1 day at Champlain, how do I make up my mind??

Post by Reelax »

That is way to shallow this time of year the SALMON are all down around 60+ fow or deeper... :P
Matt B
pgr5039
Species: Bass

Post by pgr5039 »

I am going for bass
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

pgr5039 wrote:I am going for bass
Most all of the active users here on the forum are cold water anglers (myself included). Hopefully someone will come along with some useful advice for you.
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

I must be the rare mutt in the group, but a feisty Smallie or an arrogant northern makes my day, too. My buddy and I were out on Malletts Bay, today, and had a great time. We caught a 6 lb. Bowfin, 2 nice largemouths, 5 smallies, 3 northerns, a couple of perch and a huge pumpkinseed. We fished along the weedbeds at the mouth of Malletts Creek. It was a rare treat to get out on a weekday and enjoy the Bay. Every fish was caught on a Mepps Aglia spinner #4 with bucktail dressing. You can find great bass fishing right out from the launch in Plattsburgh. Find a weedbed and you'll find bass. Surface temps. in the high 60's. You sound like you know what to throw at them, so I need not say more. Good luck and enjoy your stay. Fred