Wierd catch on the Inland Sea

Check and share here for the latest Bass fishing reports.
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Wierd catch on the Inland Sea

Post by fishmaster176 »

I've caught a lot of fish over the years, but never like today. While fishing for Bass or any other takers, I caught a small Smallie, but not in the mouth, but backwards through the gills. The lure ( Cabela's spinner) went backwards into the right gill and hooked inside the mouth. Very weird. Not sure how it's even possible. Fish don't usually back into a lure. Sadly, the little fellow didn't survive. I tried to back the lure out the mouth, to no avail. It was only about 6" long. Not sure how the treble could even fit through the gill. The only positive thing is that the fish was taken by a seagull about a minute after it was put in the water. Lots of birds around Savage Island. We also watched 2 Loons courting each other just before this incident. Interesting day. The Bass we caught hit very hard and fought like demons. Good day on the pond. Fred
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Re: Wierd catch on the Inland Sea

Post by raz »

I once caught a lamprey....only the lamprey.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
fishmaster176

Post by fishmaster176 »

Catching a lamprey is hitting the bottom of the barrel. That's when you know you're wasting gas.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Hmmm... Must inhaled it backwards after a head shake.....
Matt B
fishmaster176

Post by fishmaster176 »

Sounds like a reasonable explanation. Should've taken a pic, but it seemed kinda sadistic to take a pic of an impaled baby fish. I let nature take over and a seagull had it for lunch. Still bothers me, but I've fished many years and could count the number of hook deaths on my finger tips that I couldn't keep. Not bad, I guess.
flyguy
Species: atlantic salmon

Post by flyguy »

When bass take a lure or bait aggressively, they open their mouth rapidly, creating a negative pressure area in the mouth cavity. When they do so, they also flare their gills to increase the negative flow into the mouth. Not unusual at all to have a bait take the "back door".
fishmaster176

Post by fishmaster176 »

flyguy wrote:When bass take a lure or bait aggressively, they open their mouth rapidly, creating a negative pressure area in the mouth cavity. When they do so, they also flare their gills to increase the negative flow into the mouth. Not unusual at all to have a bait take the "back door".
I guess I haven't fished enough. :)
Thanks for the Fishing 101 (How not to swallow a lure). Fred