Three rods on the NY side with a NY fishing license only?

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Del Gue
Species: Salmon, Pike, Lake Trout

Three rods on the NY side with a NY fishing license only?

Post by Del Gue »

Heads up if you are not a NY licensed fisherman fishing on the NY side of lake Champlain with three rods per person.
I heard a rumor yesterday that a VT licensed fisherman, fishing by himself on the NY side with three rods got ticketed by a NY warden. The warden said if you want to use three rods on the NY side then you need a NY fishing license. I spoke with a friend of mine today who is a NY game warden and he said technically you do but he personally wouldn't "bust anyone's ba!!s about it". He also said that he wouldn't be surprised if there are wardens enforcing it.

If anyone knows differently please chime in. I just wanted to give a heads up so no one else gets hit unexpectedly.
Last edited by Del Gue on Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will go buy a boat.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Three rods on the NY side with a NY fishing license only

Post by Reelax »

That is my understanding of the law.. MUST have NY license for 3 rods in NY.
Matt B
tuckhunts87
Species: salmon, lakers, bass, pike

Post by tuckhunts87 »

that is the rule. you have to have a ny license to fish with 3 rods in new York waters.
Wdrnr
Species: Salmon Lakers, warm if needed

Post by Wdrnr »

I "wonder" wether it's worth the groups interest to see if we can make common ground for Lake Champlain , 3rods both sides ?
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Wdrnr wrote:I "wonder" wether it's worth the groups interest to see if we can make common ground for Lake Champlain , 3rods both sides ?
I think that is a great idea!
WildFisherWoman
Species: The Toothiest N Meanest!

Post by WildFisherWoman »

If he is a VTr and wants to fish with 3 rods in NY waters then he needs a NY license and was breaking NY law because he only had a VT license. If he had 3 rods in VT with a VT license he was breaking the VT law. If he was fishing 3 rods in VT/NY reciprocal license waters on NY side of the VT/NY border line with a VT license the big question is.... will he be in violation of VT or NY laws?

On another note, for anyone not aware... see this for boundaries: 10 V.S.A. App. § 114a. Rule defining mouths of tributaries and lines between points to identify the Vermont portion of Lake Champlain http://www.leg.state.vt.us/statutes/ful ... ion=00114a.

There is nothing reciprocal about the 3 line rule of NYs. Its for licenses not the rules. This topic keeps coming up frequently. Ill look into it.

Yes.. I edited this for clarification after discussion with some folks. :D
Last edited by WildFisherWoman on Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"
FishTherapy
Species: salmon

Post by FishTherapy »

it has to be on the new york side of the boundry line right?? cause if it is considered the VT/NY reciprocal waters that means you can run three with ny license on both sides of the lake... technically... right?
Del Gue

Post by Del Gue »

I'm not familiar with the term Reciprocal Waters. All I found in the Vt F&W was reciprocal fishing license. You are either fishing on the VT side of Lake Champlain or the NY side. (Main lake only. Not including the Inland Sea, South Bay and Quebec). The reciprocal license allows you to fish either side abiding by their laws.

"Anglers are cautioned that while either license is valid to fish in the Vermont and New York portions of Lake Champlain, each state has its own restrictions pertaining to species restrictions, length limits and seasons, etc. Therefore, it is necessary to know which state your are fishing in and abide by the fishing restrictions of that state."
http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/6411.html

"Some fishing season dates, length limits and daily creel limits are different in New York and Vermont. When fishing in Vermont, anglers must observe Vermont laws. When fishing in New York, anglers must follow the laws that apply in New York. Be sure to obtain copies of state's fishing regulations if you are going to fish Lake Champlain."
http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/fish_reciprocal.cfm

It doesn't say anything about abiding by the fishing laws of VT when fishing the NY side of lake Champlain. It simply states you must abide by the laws in the state in which you are currently finishing. So that tells me as long as I am in legal, reciprocal fishing waters with a valid VT license then I should be free to fish to the full extent of the laws in the state you are currently floating in.

This is definitely worth discussing more.
Last edited by Del Gue on Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will go buy a boat.
Del Gue

Post by Del Gue »

tuckhunts87 wrote:that is the rule. you have to have a ny license to fish with 3 rods in new York waters.
I have looked for this Tuck. What publication did you find this in. My brain can only handle reading so much of a government publication before I fall asleep. It wouldn't surprise me if it's buried in there somewhere and I just haven't found it yet.
fishhuntadventure
Species: salmon, walleye, trout

Post by fishhuntadventure »

Here we go again.

I have emailed the Vt F&W contacts I have and the NY Dec with the same email (cc'd) to ask about this recurring question.

I personally do not have concerns about us being allowed to run 3 rods per angler while trolling/fishing from a boat on Champlain. On the days where this is possible/desirable I don't think the fish are at any more "risk" than with two rods but when fishing solo on a slow day I have often wished for the opportunity to run another rod to up my chances. On 'busier' days running just 2 rods can sometimes be annoying or all I want to do, especially solo.

Anyway, I have asked for an official position on this from both sides. As licensed fishermen we deserve more clarity on this. Furthermore, the officers who have to enforce this (or not) should know what the position is as well. None of us should have to wonder what the rule might look like this week or if it has changed from last month...

Vermont F&W and NY DEC really need to get on the same page on this. That is their duty to the citizens and license holders.

Mark
The Office: 1964 Niagara Deluxe, 40hp
Top: I made it
Sonar/GPS: Eagle 480 and Lowrance Elite 5
Line: Seaguar, PowerPro, Excel
Maps: Navionics
Riggers: BigJon
Targets: Salmon, Walleye, more...
Inspiration: Grampa Charlie
The Point: You need to ask?!
fishhuntadventure
Species: salmon, walleye, trout

Post by fishhuntadventure »

PS - not a fan of the "3 rods on NY side, 2 rods in Vermont" idea. The entire lake as a reciprocal water needs to have identical rules.
The Office: 1964 Niagara Deluxe, 40hp
Top: I made it
Sonar/GPS: Eagle 480 and Lowrance Elite 5
Line: Seaguar, PowerPro, Excel
Maps: Navionics
Riggers: BigJon
Targets: Salmon, Walleye, more...
Inspiration: Grampa Charlie
The Point: You need to ask?!
WildFisherWoman

In regards to this confusion that keeps coming up, this is something that is currently being looked into.
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"
Del Gue

Post by Del Gue »

Thanks for everyone's inquiry into this. I have asked many questions to many wardens (on both sides) and no one has a concrete answer. This is a fairly new law and I believe this loop hole was over looked.

I agree that when I am fishing with more than one person, three rods per can be cumbersome but when I am alone, the third line can come in handy when trying to fish a large column of water.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

I can't keep two lines from tangling!!!! :roll:

Ha! just kidding....

Fish on everyone!!!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
WildFisherWoman

VTF&W and NYSDEC have corresponded over the past week on this topic. Here is the response regarding NY enforcement of the 3 line rule....

"if someone is fishing with a valid license in NY waters, the angler is subject only to NY regulations. They do not do any differential enforcement for those fishing in NY with a reciprocal license from VT. So an angler fishing in NY with a reciprocal license from VT can use 3 lines, just as an angler with a NY license can"

So with that said...... REMEMBER: Its very important that you know what state you are in (i.e. what side of the VT/NY border line when in reciprocal license waters) and abide by the fishing regulations of that state. As we are all aware, the VT side of the border only allows 2 lines.

For more info on the above for folks that aren't aware, or for folks that read this in the future, see links below and current digests from both states:

10 V.S.A. App. § 114a. Rule defining mouths of tributaries and lines between points to identify the Vermont portion of Lake Champlain: http://www.leg.state.vt.us/statutes/ful ... ion=00114a

VTF&W Fishing General Requirements & Prohibitions: http://www.eregulations.com/vermont/gen ... hibitions/

TABLE 3: General Fishing Regulations for Lake Champlain: http://www.eregulations.com/vermont/tab ... champlain/

NYSDEC Special Fishing Regulations for Lake Champlain: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31510.html

Hopefully, this clarifies the confusion. Its great that the departments nailed this issue down in a timely manner. If anyone has any other questions, they can send them to me and I can be sure they get to the right folks.

Tight & Tangle Free Lines Folks! :D