Beaches are closed

Share info on fishing Champlain.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Beaches are closed

Post by C-Hawk »

Another 1/2 " rainfall has caused an overflow at Burlington. Don't swim there! Just vote Scott. Sorry, but sooner or later someone has to do something. Vermonters live in one of the most beautiful places in the country, and it may be unfortunate, but you may need to pay for that privilege some day.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Beaches are closed

Post by Reelax »

Finless browns are lurking in the shallows again... pew... our state sucs
Matt B
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

C-Hawk wrote: Sorry, but sooner or later someone has to do something. Vermonters live in one of the most beautiful places in the country, and it may be unfortunate, but you may need to pay for that privilege some day.
"Some day"? As beautiful as this State is, some of us are paying $$$$ for it now, and God help the estate taxes of those that want to die here! My point simply being that while water quality is inherently important, it isn't free. If James can explain a reasonable platform that holds taxes down and provides the water quality we seek, I'd be listening. Instead, a platform of "water savior" isn't enough for me. Meanwhile, the Sheepshead keep getting bigger (but I won't eat 'em!!)
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

I'd love to hear what the solution is and what Ehlers thinks he can do to improve the situation. I'm copy/pasting this from elsewhere:

Friendly reminder that while these headlines are attention grabbing, agricultural runoff, streambank erosion, and untreated stormwater runoff from developed areas are much larger contributors to poor water quality in the lake than overflow events. These wastewater overflows mostly cause short term water quality issues in the lake due to E.Coli levels. However, the combined stormwater sewage system in place that causes these overflows to occur is generally considered better for overall water quality than the prior system, which treated septic but did not capture stormwater. These combined systems were designed to overflow because you cannot feasibly build a system to treat large stormwater events. Overflows are more common because climate change has caused our precipitation to increase in both volume and intensity (that is, more rain falls overall, and more of it falls in a shorter amount of time). A system that treats sewage AND stormwater seperately, while allowing stormwater to overflow in high intensity rain events, would be ideal. However, the price tag for such a system is likely in the tens if not hundreds of millions.
septageguy
Species: all

Post by septageguy »

I would also point out that Burlington has a pretty good system compared to some other facilities. I was at Deer Island (MA) during a storm at the mega-plant (treats Boston) and their flow goes from 100 million to over a billion. They did part of exactly what Burlington does, use a vortex separator to capture all the solids and chlorinate the remaining filtered water out the pipe. They put enough chlorine in to create a dead zone around the discharge. I'm thankful Burlington doesn't chlorinate like that anymore.
nhjim
Species: coldwater

Post by nhjim »

and the milfoil police want to check our boats to make sure the lake is clean. hmm
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

nhjim wrote:and the milfoil police want to check our boats to make sure the lake is clean. hmm
They're checking to make sure you're not carrying milfoil to an uninfested body of water.
Trackertroller
Species: Cold & Warm Water

Post by Trackertroller »

Laurentide wrote:
nhjim wrote:and the milfoil police want to check our boats to make sure the lake is clean. hmm
They're checking to make sure you're not carrying milfoil to an uninfested body of water.
Exactly!
No invasive hitchhikers!
JEREMY
1987 24' Chaparral
"Plenty of Fish"