Re: Salmon collapse?

Post by Sawyer »

Can we all be on your team????????????
LOl
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

C-Hawk wrote:The difference in the quality of fishing from now to 5 years ago can be summed up by reading Drynets post. Fish were so plentiful most of the regulars on here would not have used the term "known hot spot". They would have been way more specific, like, Diamond Island, Sloop, Sandbar, Providence, etc. They could do it and there was still enough fish to go around. Now a hot spot would be blown out in a day. Like walleye.
I was a total beginner 5 years ago with no idea what I was doing. But I remember going to Willsboro in the fall of my first year and catching 20-25" salmon all day long. I was pulling Speedy Shiner spoons and Spin Doctors and I caught fish nearly every time I went out. I slowly learned what works on Champlain...small spoons, vertical blades (sometimes), lite bites, got myself a fish hawk and decent sonar, knew the spots that produced...now I can hope to get a fish or two in an 8 hour day of fishing.

This is all anecdotal (as Thorny said), but I either suck at fishing or there are fewer of them to catch. We all have a lot of time, money, and passion invested in this fishery and I hope we can figure out what's going on.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Sawyer wrote:Can we all be on your team????????????
LOl
Harry, you gotta get a bigger boat!
Wdrnr
Species: Salmon Lakers, warm if needed

Post by Wdrnr »

Last trip to Converse showed so much dying alewife in the water column I couldn’t imagine why any predator fish would chase anything we offered. Even the gulls weren’t interested. Bait spinning on the surface everywhere we went all the way to Swift’s. The one fish we kept was so full I don’t why it bothered to chase a slider. Must be Tamirons just can’t be left on the table......
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

this may be wishfull thinking,but I hope the salmon season is just late this year
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

C-Hawk wrote:
Sawyer wrote:Can we all be on your team????????????
LOl
Harry, you gotta get a bigger boat!

Hey Harry, C-Hawk (Jeff), Sawyer (Don) why don't we organize a team of guys for next year :?: :?: :?: .. Harry maybe you can talk to the people at the hostel and book it for a bunch of us? :P 8-) I'm in... and I'm sure many of the guys would be too! BTW Great work out there Harry.... ;)
Last edited by jimbow on Tue May 22, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Combsey
Species: Lakers salmon

Post by Combsey »

Salmon fishing has been great the last few years with double digits catches this year already. Difference is not telling the internet where you are fishing so the salmon are not spooked and you don't have 100 internet goons in a spot you found. Yes I do inform people who I have became friends with of areas that I have been fishing.
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Wait, wasn't it just last summer that we all thought the salmon had disappeared... and then in fall we realized that they were still there-- but we just weren't finding them?