Lamprey spawning

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Honest John
Species: All interested parties

Lamprey spawning

Post by Honest John »

Hey all I remember mentioning the lamprey spawn a year or two back and someone had asked that I report when they're in so they could go introduce a few to their maker. Well, the time is now. If you're interested in chopping the heads off of about a couple hundred lamprey, just go to shelburne falls in the next week or two (not really sure how long they'll be there) they are climbing the falls and swimming all of the pool below the falls. Happy hunting
hard knox
Species: salmon

Re: Lamprey spawning

Post by hard knox »

I think the lamprey population may well be champlains biggest problem at this point been on the lake 4 times and numbers of lakers and salmon are way down . Last trip every salmon and laker that came to the boat had bight marks on them or a lamprey . Been to lake Onterio 3 times and have had crazy good fishing on browns ,kings and steelies all big fat and clean only one fish had a lamprey on it if vt and ny dec dont get there finger out of there ear its only going to get worse .
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Post by ThreeBuoys »

I can't speak about Lakers as I have not targeted or caught many so far this year. However many of the Salmon I have caught have had either Lamprey hanging on them or fresh wounds. I don't think it's their ear they need to pull their finger out of.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

Yeah we have been seeing huge numbers of lamprey as well. Well over 50% of the fish we are boating have marks, and almost 25% have lamprey on them.