James Ehlers for Governor

Share info on fishing Champlain.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

James Ehlers for Governor

Post by C-Hawk »

I don't think there can be a better advocate or our Lake than our own James Ehlers. I would urge all forum members to support his candidacy for Governor of Vermont, regardless of where you live or vote. The current governor has done nothing to help implement EPA orders that required Vermont to clean up pollution entering the Lake. While James will never be a single issue candidate , you can rest assured that he will be an advocate for clean water in the entire state. Please donate to his campaign, as he is going alone, with no corporate sponsors. Strictly grassroots.
https://secure.actblue.com/donate/james ... -vermont-1
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: James Ehlers for Governor

Post by Reelax »

I would have to agree that Scott has to go ASAP!!!!!!
Matt B
Vtmopar
Species: Everything

Post by Vtmopar »

We can agree to disagree.....
High Plains Drifter
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Vtmopar wrote:We can agree to disagree.....
Thanks for the bump
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

I wish Ehlers and LCI would stop demonizing combined sewer overflows with sensational language like "regular release of raw sewage into our waterways". That statement is patently false, and provides a smokescreen to farmers that they don't need to do any work since it's the "big city's" fault.

Another disingenuous statement is that this is happening "under the current administration", as if this wasn't the status quo since the day they laid the first sewer pipe in the 19th century. Burlington has invested millions in updating its water treatment facilities. But for some reason it's still easier to blame the "big city" (of a whopping 40,000 people) than to target the farms that dump thousands of tons of manure into streams and rivers every year.

The part of the lake that has serious algae problems every summer is separated by two causeways and billions of gallons of water from sewage overflows that happen a few times a year. Franklin County is dairy country and Ehlers/LCI refuses to acknowledge the source of the issue.

At least Burlington is trying to fix its part of the problem, I can't say the same for an industry that relies heavily on government subsidies and is far and away the largest point source of water quality degradation.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

I agree with you Andy, but coming down on farmers will not get you elected in Vermont. That is , unfortunately, reality. Should voters ignore a candidate that predominantly supports clean water in favor of one who looks the other way on pollution issues? Scott's agriculture Secretary is nothing more than a Chamber of commerce protege, and between her and Scott, will not enforce Best Farming rules , unless taxpayers pay for any added burden to farmers. In other words, not going to happen. I think at least James will enforce all water quality laws , equally.
Vtmopar

Post by Vtmopar »

Laurentide wrote:I wish Ehlers and LCI would stop demonizing combined sewer overflows with sensational language like "regular release of raw sewage into our waterways". That statement is patently false, and provides a smokescreen to farmers that they don't need to do any work since it's the "big city's" fault.

Another disingenuous statement is that this is happening "under the current administration", as if this wasn't the status quo since the day they laid the first sewer pipe in the 19th century. Burlington has invested millions in updating its water treatment facilities. But for some reason it's still easier to blame the "big city" (of a whopping 40,000 people) than to target the farms that dump thousands of tons of manure into streams and rivers every year.

The part of the lake that has serious algae problems every summer is separated by two causeways and billions of gallons of water from sewage overflows that happen a few times a year. Franklin County is dairy country and Ehlers/LCI refuses to acknowledge the source of the issue.

At least Burlington is trying to fix its part of the problem, I can't say the same for an industry that relies heavily on government subsidies and is far and away the largest point source of water quality degradation.
Completely agree, thats my biggest issue with him.
High Plains Drifter
BottomDollar

Post by BottomDollar »

C-Hawk wrote:I agree with you Andy, but coming down on farmers will not get you elected in Vermont. That is , unfortunately, reality. Should voters ignore a candidate that predominantly supports clean water in favor of one who looks the other way on pollution issues? Scott's agriculture Secretary is nothing more than a Chamber of commerce protege, and between her and Scott, will not enforce Best Farming rules , unless taxpayers pay for any added burden to farmers. In other words, not going to happen. I think at least James will enforce all water quality laws , equally.
Ya, I hear you Jeff. I agree with most of that and I was just pointing out an issue that I personally have with LCI. Every time I think about this stuff it always comes back to "why aren't we going to regulate and tax cannabis to clean up the lake and reduce property taxes?" The problem, as always, is money, and our legislature is actively making decisions to eliminate a potentially enormous source of revenue that could assist the state in solving a lot of its expensive problems.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Bottom line is, we have never, ever had a candidate for governor that has done, or will do for our Lake, the good things James has done. This is an historic moment for our group and while no candidate will ever treat every issue the way you would like to see, I see no one on the radar that will be as beneficial to Lake Champlain.

So please, and I know we are not supposed to get political on here, but, never before has there been such a moment in our forums history, to get vocal about supporting a candidate. I would urge all members to donate to James Ehlers by clicking on the link I supplied. James is taking no money from big corporation's, and I doubt big Dairy will be getting in line to help him out. Also I urge out of staters to contribute as well. Never before has there been any opportunity for non residents to help shape the future of the Lake
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

I would also ask the Mods, to poll people on here as whether or not to Support Ehlers. If we supported him as a group, it would be a small feather in his cap, but maybe other sporting groups would get on board. Time to stand up and be heard. Matt? Raz? Andre?
BottomDollar

Post by BottomDollar »

Just as a note, while I have my issues with LCI for their PR tactics, they're a beneficial organization and I agree with C-Hawk on the important stuff. He's right; an advocate in the executive office would be a great thing for us as a group of conservation minded people.
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Post by Captain Paul »

I don't know where you guys think James isn't for cleaning up the farms I have donated many trips (to educate many local people about water quality and the things they can do to help) to LCI
and James is always on board and never once heard him say that big dairy - AG is not the biggest part of the problem you only see the post about sewage over flows and dump because LCI can put an accurate number on the waste that is dumped. But I can assure you James wants big AG cleaned up. I do believe James is with out a doubt the best one for the Lake and water quality. But the bad side for me is he will raise taxes and does not totally support the 2nd amendment (He does not have a problem with Scotts new gun control laws) James is a great guy but I am not sure I can support him still undecided.
BottomDollar

Post by BottomDollar »

Paul, my point was that it doesn't do any good to attack the cities/towns that have 19th century infrastructure and, in Burlington's case, are actively trying to improve the situation. I understand that they recognize the threat of dairy farm pollution and I do appreciate their efforts. I just wish that they'd direct more of their press releases/social media toward the more pressing threat of farm runoff.

City combined sewer overflows (storm water containing some raw sewage) are like one kid peeing in an Olympic size pool...it gets diluted almost immediately in the trillions of gallons of lake water. Another problem is the local media has everyone thinking that the broad lake is a cesspool because the overflow pipes are close to public beaches. Yeah, it sucks that it happens but we all know it's an extremely localized event.
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Post by Captain Paul »

I just wish the Politicians would stop pissing all the money away that they get to clean up the lake on studying things over and over again if that money was spent fixing the problems we would be well on our way to cleaning up the Lake
Vtmopar

Post by Vtmopar »

I know, they will pick a subject do 3 studies and do nothing with the data.
Right now theyre still trying to figure out the PO4 regs for the treatment plants.
Most of them haven't been issued permits in years.
Big reason is Ehlers and his liberal clan are fighting it.
Ends up costing us more, and still nothing gets done.
Ok no more for me.
Lets fish.
High Plains Drifter