New to the site

Share info on fishing Champlain.
VT Dukhntr
Species: Salmon

New to the site

Post by VT Dukhntr »

Hello all. This is my first post here. I found LCU by way of recommendation of the guy (I believe owner) at Back Country Sports, up in St Albans. I'm from Milton, and looking to get back into fishing. Grew up fishing lead core with my grandfather, mostly in the smaller lakes, like Dunmore, or Chittenden Res, stuff within about 40 minutes of the Rutland area. Caught a lot of rainbow trout, some salmon, and an occasional laker. As I got older, we started fishing Lake George for lakers.
That was a long time ago now, and in the last 20 years I haven't fished much. Last January, I purchased a 1982 Starcraft 160SS, and put in a new floor, transom, carpet, and wiring. I gutted the bow seating, and removed the passenger side console, to have a fully open boat (minus the driver console) I did this all for duck hunting, but knew I wanted to get back to fishing.
I'm a few hundred bucks into new rods, reels, tackle, etc, and looking forward to putting the boat on the water.
Looking for any tips or pointers for a newbie to catch Salmon on Champlain. Colors, lures, locations, etc. Seems like asking for a lot, but I promise I'm not looking to poach anyone's favorite spots or techniques, just looking to have some fun and put a few fish in the boat. Any advise would be appreciated.
Been poking around on this site for a few weeks. Looks a little slow, but a lot of good posts and sharing among seemingly friendly fisherman. Look forward to chatting with you guys, and maybe we will cross paths. I see a lot of guys here posting about Converse Bay launch, I use that a lot for duck hunting, so I've probably seen some of you...or at least your trucks in the parking lot.

Happy Fishing
Dave
Last edited by VT Dukhntr on Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Honest John
Species: All interested parties

Re: New to the site

Post by Honest John »

Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Welcome aboard! Always room for more.... There is long history of fishing stories as well as good informational tactics for Vermont fishing here on this site. Especially cold water trolling. You would do well to join the DYP tourney to meet a good number of fellow forum members and get to fish with someone new for the day. We are holding it on April 28th out of the Converse launch.

Good luck and see you out there....
Matt B
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Welcom to the forum Dave
Don & Traci Sawyer
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

welcome to the best forum in the internet. you will have plenty of good advise from the members.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Hi and welcome...You may want to check into some old posts for tips...lots to review for sure....Most people here are very helpful with equipment suggestions...The trout and salmon tactics section is rather new but it has a lot of info, I'd start there and then check fishing reports...best of luck.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Welcome to the forum Dave.
Check the older posts, you will find very valuable information about salmon and fishing.
And as Reelax suggested, join the DYP derby, you will meet friendly happy anglers.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

For salmon and your size boat, Keeler Bay is where you want to start. Then maybe along the Sandbar. After that beginning of May to Mid June, you could be a real hero on here a catch some salmon from Outer Mallets. Been slow for years , but if you put your time in around Robinson's and along the fill, you may do all right. Mallets will let a 16 footer stay out in the wind longer than most every other place. When it's good and calm, head out Just beyond Stave and Providence for the big boys.
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

Dear VTdckntr, there are no fish in Lake Champlain,don't bother to come up to Converse bay,there is no parking and the ramp sucks.all the fish have been caught by Crazy Ivan,Fathead,Reggie and Supercab.not to mention the rest of the dmn fleet. I (fishingmachine) only go there because its cheaper than golfing. ha ha
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Hi! These guys know what's up!
VT Dukhntr

Post by VT Dukhntr »

fishingmachine wrote:Dear VTdckntr, there are no fish in Lake Champlain,don't bother to come up to Converse bay,there is no parking and the ramp sucks.all the fish have been caught by Crazy Ivan,Fathead,Reggie and Supercab.not to mention the rest of the dmn fleet. I (fishingmachine) only go there because its cheaper than golfing. ha ha

:lol: :lol: Well, I know better. :) I've launched at Converse a number of times. Used to live in Charlotte, just down from the Old Brick Store, only about 4 minutes from the launch. Not saying I wanted to go there, but may at some point. Honestly, as locations go, Colchester, the Islands, St. Albans, Shelburne are all a whole lot shorter drive from Milton. Was mostly just saying that I likely have crossed paths with a few of you, likely in October to December over the last 20 years.
VT Dukhntr

Post by VT Dukhntr »

C-Hawk wrote:For salmon and your size boat, Keeler Bay is where you want to start. Then maybe along the Sandbar. After that beginning of May to Mid June, you could be a real hero on here a catch some salmon from Outer Mallets. Been slow for years , but if you put your time in around Robinson's and along the fill, you may do all right. Mallets will let a 16 footer stay out in the wind longer than most every other place. When it's good and calm, head out Just beyond Stave and Providence for the big boys.
Good stuff, I'll keep that in mind. A buddy of mine and I were just talking about the shore line west of Savage. So, just north of what you're talking about. Seems the better launch would be just over the causeway, at the newly rebuilt state launch. The Keeler Bay ramp is in desperate need of being rebuilt/dredged or simply closed down. The bay itself though, that is a pretty easy commute to get into from the sandbar/causeway. Will have to look at Stave on a nice day. As a waterfowler, I'm all too familiar with wind and location on Champlain. I tend to be a bit reserved on my selections, keeping wind and travel distances in mind. Come December, Champlain can get really ugly really fast. Thanks for your input.

Dave
02tundra18
Species: The ones that swim

Post by 02tundra18 »

Welcome aboard! I am new to the site as well. I have fished the lake most of my life but just recently started chasing these cold water fish seriously. Everyone is right....pay attention to these posts everyone on this forum is more than willing to offer help.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

And don't forget, when you new guys catch fish we want pics and a full report. Thats what keeps this forum going. Fun to watch the progression.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

02tundra18 wrote:Welcome aboard! I am new to the site as well. I have fished the lake most of my life but just recently started chasing these cold water fish seriously. Everyone is right....pay attention to these posts everyone on this forum is more than willing to offer help.
Welcome to the forum 02tundra18. Looking forward to see your posts.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)