looking for early season warm water for salmon

Share info on fishing Champlain.
hard knox
Species: salmon

looking for early season warm water for salmon

Post by hard knox »

Was looking for a little local input on wear i can find some warm water inlets into the main lake i normally fish out of peru and go north or south and fish out in front of the river inlets but only pick up a few salmon in these spots . I was looking at the map and was wondering if i go east to vt side to the south hero bike trail bridge what could i expect for current and temp coming out of the bay on vt side .If i can find 4 to 5 degree warmer water coming into the main lake and some current it could be a huge difference in April on the main lake . Thanks
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Re: looking for early season warm water for salmon

Post by C-Hawk »

Along the "Fill" or bike trail, is usually lake trout territory early. From the opening a t Mallets to the Winooski is popular early, but not many salmon are taken.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

I suggest shallow area's where you won't expect to find Salmon at any other time during the year. Shallow bays where the water is the warmest. Look for water that climbs a few degrees above the surrounding waters...usually less than 20 ft deep.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
mudchuck
Species: perch

Post by mudchuck »

I threw kastmasters and cleo spoons at allen point with no bites. Went out in the Feb warmup that had the ice separating form shore, and again went out several times in early March before the cold snap locked the shorelines up again.
Too soon for them in there I suppose, but will be there once this warm up takes hold.
open water at the fill all around.
Gray Ghost

Post by Gray Ghost »

Gus
Tight Lines
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

still iced in here in bullwagga bay but could leave by the end of the week. cant wait.
hard knox

Post by hard knox »

Thanks for the input guys looks like i will need to do some looking around as i come from malone ny so its a hour just to peru so driving to southern end of lake does not make sence for me . If i have to drive to far i am better off to go to lake O they are crushing the browns right now maybe i will give the fill a try . Was wondering does Willsboro bay draw much early season salmon action in the back end i no theres no inlet but might be a little warmer father up in the bay . thanks
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

That post on Bullwagga is great info, but if you are a weekend warrior town farm area will put more fish in the boat on any day for a novice. Thing about Bullwagga is you gotta know when to fish the bay, when to fish the bridge and when to cut your losses and fish lakers until the wind turns the salmon on. I think there are more salmon with their heads buried in the weeds than in the channel....but what do I know...lol
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Are you trying to keep us out of Bulwagga Harry? Doesn't matter, I think the bigger fish are in the channel.
hard knox

Post by hard knox »

Wow after finally getting the Bulwagga link to open and reading it looks like a 2 hour drive may be in order to ck it out but thinking might go mid weak sounds like it could get a little crowded there at times . Thanks for the great info
hard knox

Post by hard knox »

Wow after finally getting the Bulwagga link to open and reading it looks like a 2 hour drive may be in order to ck it out but thinking might go mid weak sounds like it could get a little crowded there at times . Thanks for the great info
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

Post by Crazy Ivan »

Hard Knox
Bulwagga and the Bridge are fantastic and easy April, May and June fishing hot spots. Easy to fish and available with most any wind conditions especially if you have a gps. 2017 was another banner year at the bridge and I expect the same this year. another hot spot in that area is Elm Point and Oven point.
People get confused when they are reading about "Converse"...... That's where the launch ramp is. There is not a lot of spring action in that direct area. Across the lake to the big bay and south past Thompsons point into Town farm bay.
If you are headed to Wagga or the Bridge let me know I will give you the scoop.
Todd
Todd
hard knox

Post by hard knox »

Thanks Todd and all others that shared this great info it wont be to much longer before i give it a shot as i have been working on boat making sure everything in order for hopefully a trouble free season .