BIG CHANGES for LAKE BUOYS

Share info on fishing Champlain.
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

BIG CHANGES for LAKE BUOYS

Post by popster »

The USCG announced in a recent Local Notice to Mariners (LNM), important changes to be made to several Navigation buoys on Lake Champlain, beginning in May. Some of these will have a significant impact on the boating community. In short, the present plan is to ELIMINATE the following buoys, as well as several others:

Colchester Reef “37”
The Pigs Shoal “39”
Saxton Reef “41”
Quaker Smith Inner “49”
Basin Harbor Reef (Scotch Bonnet) “53”

See SECTION V of the USCG LNM for complete list
https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/lnms/lnm01092018.pdf

Now is the time to show your concern in writing to the USCG. A brief note will suffice. These changes WILL happen if the USCG does not hear any comments from the boaters. Although scheduled for May, it may not be too late, and they do take all comments seriously.
COMMENTS SHOULD BE ADDRESSED TO:

d01-smb-secnne-waterways@uscg.mil
Subject: Project No. 01-17-019, Lake Champlain

BELOW IS A NOTICE THAT CAPT RICH FURBUSH HAS ASKED ME TO POST

To: Lake Champlain Marine Interests and Boating Community

The USCG has recently announced plans to modify, re-locate, and eliminate several aids to navigation on the Lake. These plans were announced last fall for public comment, but I suspect that many folks do not receive this notice and thus may not be aware of the PROPOSED, and now APPROVED changes that are scheduled to begin on or about May 15, 2018.

I personally am very concerned about several of these changes as they will further limit navigation/piloting capabilities for many. One prime example, in my opinion, is the ELIMINATION of one of the buoys, “37” from Colchester Shoal and moving the other lighted buoy ”35” to the west of the shoal. This shoal is a navigation hazard with two buoys – now it will have one buoy??

In addition, several of the lighted buoys from the Champlain Bridge area southward will be converted to unlit buoys along with several being discontinued.

Please read the LNM notice carefully (SECTION V) to understand the changes proposed and approved.
Bill
"POINTER"
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Re: BIG CHANGES for LAKE BUOYS

Post by C-Hawk »

I'll bet this administration is spending more money at the border crossing so the navigation suffers.
popster

USCG LNM SECTION V (Champlain Buoy Changes)

Post by popster »

SECTION V USCG Local Notice to Mariners. (2 pages)
Click each to open

Bill
"POINTER"
popster

Post by popster »

Eric Baruzzi, USCG Officer in Charge, Burlington, assured me yesterday that they will continue to accept comments on the planned changes to Navigation Buoys on Champlain.
See original post for more info
Bill
"POINTER"
mudchuck
Species: perch

Post by mudchuck »

wow, some of those are critical reef markers, guess time will tell how many Canadian sailboats wind up grounded because of lack of markers...