Summary of 2018 Winter Workshop and photos.

Share info on fishing Champlain.
digitroll (ron)

Summary of 2018 Winter Workshop and photos.

Post by digitroll (ron) »

I was there until 2:30 pm had to skip out for my daughters basketball final. Some of the photos I took before the first speaker started:

fishy1
Species: many species

Re: Summary of 2018 Winter Workshop and photos.

Post by fishy1 »

lots of learning and fun meeting members at the workshop . what a great workshop and a packed house. hope all enjoyed it i know i did. great job to all who helped organize it .
digitroll (ron)

Summary forthcoming from Dean. I will get the memory stick with the presentations recorded by Gerry and upload to You Tube and post here in the next few days. Heard it was outstanding!
homewrecker
Species: salmon,mermaids

Re: Photos from today's Workshop taken at start of event.

Post by homewrecker »

This "Winter Workshop" was dedicated to our friend Jeff DePaul may he rest in peace.

It also was to support the Angelo Incerpi Fund which supports Green Mountain Conservation Camp. The memorial remembrance by Bill Jacobus Vt. Fish and Wildlife Activist was A very moving and informative acknowledgement of a man that gave his life to conservation.

I think this has been one of the best "Winter Workshops" to date. We had a great turn out to support our efforts to create stewardship thru education. As anglers and folks that enjoy the outdoors and all it has to offer we have an obligation to care for it and to teach the next generation to respect and care for it as well. The way we choose to do this is these Vendor supported Winter Workshops and through supporting Green Mountain Conservation Camp. They teach kids to respect and enjoy the outdoors and how to preserve it for generations to come.

That being said this is the effort of a great number of people that I would now like to thank;

The Lake Champlain United Winter Workshop Committee, aka Popster, Thorny, Digitroll, Cas. Gecha, David and Homewrecker. whose tireless efforts soliciting vendors for all the great stuff for these events is the driving force behind them.

Our panel of guest speakers;

Brian Chipman, Fisheries Biologist from Vermont Fish & Wildlife Dept, will bring us up to date on the state of the Champlain Salmon & Trout fisheries.

Brad Young, Fisheries Biologist and Sea Lamprey Control Program Manager, US Fish & Wildlife Service.

Dr. Bryan Kluever, from U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Migratory Birds Division from Hadley, Mass. To speak about the state Cormorant issue. (https://bryankluever.weebly.com)

Andrew Milliken U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

Kevin Kelsey Ed Weed Hatchery

Tony Curtis U.S. Fish and Wildlife Lamprey Control

Captain Chris Gatley and Pure Fishing for sponsoring this years event.

Our very generous vendors, without their support these events would not happen so please continue to support them and there products. and here they are our supporting vendors;

LOWRANCE
FISHAWK
SLIDE DIVER
THE SMALL BOAT EXCHANGE
VT VIELD SPORTS
PURE FISHING
LAKE CHAMPLAIN INTERNATIONAL
THE OLD FISHING HOLE
ADVENTURE PRODUCTS/EGO SLIDER
DIAWA
VANCE TACKLE
OFFSHORE TACKLE
ONYX
DATILLIO'S
TORPEDO DIVERS
INVISASWIVLE
ROD GLOVE
MAGMA/CONTROLL KING
CHURCH TACKLE
BUCKET GRIP
CHAMBERLAN REALESES
CRAZY IVAN
LAKE CHAMPLAIN UNITED
DOUG YASNER TAXIDERMY
DON AND TRACIE SAWYER

THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO ALL THAT CAME OUT TO ATTEND. SEE YOU AT THE DYP, DEAN
Last edited by homewrecker on Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Traci And I would like to say thanks to all the organizers and speakers along with the sponsors that donated the wonderful prizes. It was nice getting introduced to some of the members we did not know.
Our fellow members and others attending the seminar made us feel very welcome and hope we can contribute to the LCU like others have.
Thanks Don & Traci Sawyer
digitroll (ron)

Stats: 84 people in attendance. Raised $1,015 after expenses from our raffle to help send kids to Conservation camp on Lake Bomoseen run by the Vermont Fish and Wildlife.
Boatless in BTV
Species: Anything that bites

Post by Boatless in BTV »

Unfortunately I was unable to attend this year due to work commitments. Will videos of the presentations be posted as they have in the past? I would love to check them out.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:Traci And I would like to say thanks to all the organizers and speakers along with the sponsors that donated the wonderful prizes. It was nice getting introduced to some of the members we did not know.
Our fellow members and others attending the seminar made us feel very welcome and hope we can contribute to the LCU like others have.
Thanks Don & Traci Sawyer
don and traci thank you so much for the crate full of worms. it was my freind scott,s ist time also and he was very impressed with the lcu members said they were the freindliest fisherman he ever met. it was good to finally meet you and traci now you have to get down my way and fish. :)
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Thank you so much to everyone that helped put this Workshop on! Jacob and I had a great time (and walked away with some nice "loot"!) and learned a lot from the great speakers that were there. Nice to put some more faces with the names from here, too.
bagman
Species: trout

Post by bagman »

I would like to thank all the folks who give their time and work so hard to make these workshops possible.
digitroll (ron)

Lot of work behind the scenes in 10 years of these events! I realized 5 years ago the last year at Vt Home how much of a task this was for myself putting on these events. When Dean took over and moved it to the Miller Center where there was adequate room to hold the crowds that VT Home wasn't large enough to accommodate people / chairs / tables and the infrastructure for speakers .

Bill has done a fabulous job lining up the speaking segment since it began 7 years ago. Dean has done an incredible job with the master of ceremony duties and getting the pizza and water plus prizes + working with the Dept. of Recreation to reserve our space at the Miller Center. Rob has helped with with the raffle and getting the prizes out in an orderly fashion when the tickets are called out. Gerry and David have been the first ones at the event and the last to leave to help out and they video the speaking events for us 4-5 years now. Mike helps behind the scenes with our meetings with anyway he can at these events.

It takes a well oiled machine and these guys have done a great job with their roles to make this happen every year. It takes a village to pull this off for 75-100 people!

10 years and 19 events to look back on now! The future looks bright with one event per year!
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Post by tmcaul »

I join others in complimenting all who helped put together the seminar and to gather the many, many raffle prizes. The speakers were great and were very patient answering everybody's questions. Also met some new forum members which always feels good.

Just need some ice to move and the season will start.

Tom
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
digitroll (ron)

First video of three. Bill Jacobus talking about Angelo Incerpi / Brian Chipman Fishery Biologist Vt. Fish and Wildlife state of the Champlain trout and salmon fisheries.

digitroll (ron)

Video #2: Dr. Bryan Kluever from the US Fish and Wildlife speaking about Cormorant policies, management, and biology.

digitroll (ron)

Video #3 Brad Young US Fish and Wildlife Fishery Biologist presenting data on Sea Lamprey Control for the Lake Champlain Basin.