House Bill 591

Share info on fishing Champlain.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

House Bill 591

Post by C-Hawk »

I guess H.591 is coming up for a vote soon, a Bill sponsored by Rep. Deen, Westminster, that will give equal access to bird watching, picknicking, jet skiis, and every other form of recreation that Vt State parks already provide. If this bill passes, and without any additional funding for parking, refuse control, law enforcement, and day care, our already overcrowded ramps will be a nightmare. While on its face this seems like a good idea, the change in use may disqualify boat ramp maintenance funds from being applied that are generated from an 11% tax on sporting equipment and marine fuels. In other words, we loose control, we loose money. Call your reps and urge a no vote on H.591. You paid for these ramps, and with the stroke of a pen, everyone will have the same acess, with NO out of pocket expense.
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Re: House Bill 591

Post by BottomDollar »

The text of the bill as written:

This bill proposes to allow a person to use a fishing access area for an authorized secondary use, provided that the secondary use does not interfere with a primary use of the fishing access area. The bill would also provide that the Department of Fish and Wildlife shall be the only law enforcement agency with the authority to enforce the requirements for fishing access areas. The Department would be authorized to initiate enforcement of the requirements for fishing access areas only on receipt of a complaint that an authorized secondary use interferes with a primary use of an access area. In addition, the bill repeals the Fish and Wildlife Board rule regulating fishing access areas.

The bolded text that I added is what is problematic in my opinion. If you show up at a ramp or are approaching it from the water and have an access issue you'd have to call F&W and wait for a warden to ask the people to move. I guess that's more or less the way it is now, with the caveat that they're now permitted to be there until told otherwise by a warden.

I'd be pissed if any of the state accesses became anything like the Coast Guard ramp, where, in the summer, the dragon boat people take over the entire parking area and make it both difficult and dangerous to try to get a boat in or out when they're present. They park where they want despite the fact that they don't have city parking permits or trailers, and are totally oblivious to the dangers of backing a trailer down to the ramp. They also petitioned the city to install floating docks (that they raised money to pay for) with retainer poles that make it difficult to dock on the west side of the ramp. It's one of the best accesses in the state but trailer access becomes secondary to other uses when they want to use it.

That's just a rant about a city ramp, not a state fishing access, but it shows what a clown show it can become when anyone can use an access.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Any state fishing access should require the purchase of a fishing license, period. To not have to pay, pile their trash, and get in the way is only going to lead to trouble. A different class of license or at least a $ 15 conservation sticker should be produced when asked by a Warden. Game wardens will become traffic cops.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

I also wonder what Deen knows about loosing sportsmen's funding from the feds? This could happen if they decide that these ramps are just regular boat ramps, and not designated Fishing Accesses.

This is just another power grab. Years ago, our Mass. governor, a fellow by the name of Mitt Romney, tried to remove $ 10,000,000 from surplus cash from the state Fish and Wildlife funds. Sportsmen got all over it and the federal government stepped in and threatened to pull a like amount from the Pittman/Roberts distributions that we were being allocated at the time. Wasn't long , ole Mitt, relented. I see many similarities here.
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Post by Captain Paul »

This bill is a major threat to all fishermen and boating sportsmen I suggest everyone call in and oppose this bill
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Amunition for the anti crowd. Peta picnics at a boat ramp near you?
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

C-Hawk wrote:Amunition for the anti crowd. Peta picnics at a boat ramp near you?
That was my first thought, C-Hawk! They could take over a ramp/parking area with no fear of being thrown out. Throw a kayak on the car and they can do whatever they want. The kayakers are already clueless enough when they are in a boat launch without opening the doors for everyone.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

I have been trying real hard not to rant about non-fishing kayaks at Fishing Accesses, but I have to at least say, they pay 0 dollars for what we pay; bot registrations, trailer registrations, fishing licenses, and taxes on sporting goods via Pittman-Roberts. If you do Kayaking only buy a damn $ 15 conservation stamp!
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

This is what Rep. Deen is up to now, taxing coffee to pay for clean water funds because piss and caffeine don't mix. I thought we had a corner on the market here in Mass when it comes to nut jobs, but I would look all legislation over very carefully from this guy.Not sure if I got this link right, ( Andy ?)

https://vtdigger.org/2017/02/14/lawmake ... ax-coffee/
BottomDollar

Post by BottomDollar »

Yeah Jeff, the link works.

I sent this to my local state House Reps, as well as to Rep. Deen.

"Good afternoon. I'm writing to you to express my concerns over the proposed legislation contained in HB 591, which proposes to open state fishing accesses to secondary uses.

I frequently use these state accesses to launch a fishing boat, and it is my understanding that VT fishing licenses provide the vast majority of the funding for maintenance and improvements of these sites. These are well maintained and popular access sites, and I've always been happy to know that my license fees go to take care of them.

My concern in opening up the accesses to secondary uses is that increased use without increased funding could have an adverse effect on ease of access for their primary purpose (fishing) as well as the state of repair of these facilities. If we open up the accesses, people without a fishing license should be required to have a conservation sticker that they purchase to help fund and improve the sites.

Basically, if you're using these sites and parking a car and/or using the boat ramp, you should have to display a sticker that was purchased to help pay for the site. Otherwise I feel that it would be an inappropriate imposition on the fishing license buyers to fund facilities that will be open to the public. Making it a more level playing field will insure that the accesses are able to accommodate more users and that they are kept in the great condition at which they are currently maintained.

Funds from these theoretical conservation stickers (or whatever) could go to VT F&W to help fund all of the ongoing species restoration projects as well as access management.

Thanks for your time."
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Thanks Andy. Conservation stickers are already available when you purchase your license on-line. The proceeds are supposed to go for land acquisition. I get one every year, $15.
BottomDollar

Post by BottomDollar »

C-Hawk wrote:Thanks Andy. Conservation stickers are already available when you purchase your license on-line. The proceeds are supposed to go for land acquisition. I get one every year, $15.
Awesome, so they're ready to go. Not sure how I've missed them.