Okuma Reel Question

Share info on fishing Champlain.
TUnamas

Okuma Reel Question

Post by TUnamas »

Over the years I have added a few Okuma Pro's to the spread. They are inexpensive, and work well, but I'm looking to replace a few. I see that in the past year or two they have modified the frame in a newer model. Still good? Any problems? Alternatives? Daiwas? Coldwaters?
dry net
Species: cold water

Re: Okuma Reel Question

Post by dry net »

Check out the shimano tr series. I use 100's on the rigger rods and have been happy with them.
grandpa2h
Species: salmon

Post by grandpa2h »

IHAVE BOTH SHIMANO AND DIAWA REELS ,AFTER HARD USE ,NO PROBLEMS.IHAVE NEEDED SMALL PARTS AND CALLED DIAWA AND THEY SHIPPED AT NO CHARGE. THAT MEANS A LOT TO ME.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

All of my reels are Magda pros. Just added a couple new style in July when I added more riggers to my set. They work the same and haven’t seen any issues. As with anything in the low price world they aren’t gonna last 15 years, but for 40-50 dollars you can get 3 for what you pay for a low end shimano or the like.
nhjim
Species: coldwater

Post by nhjim »

monster fishing tackle webstore shimano triton 100gs $68.00 each try one and youll drop your magnas overboard. you can actually adjust the drags.
Wdrnr
Species: Salmon Lakers, warm if needed

Post by Wdrnr »

Shimano all the way. I have been using them since long before the term Frostbite fleet was invented which is easily 30 years and have yet to have one fail. Bulletproof. But I do one thing that may be key. Don’t leave them in the boat all winter to freeze . Take care of your stuff !
D-Cypher
Species: Lake Trout

Post by D-Cypher »

I have 4 of the Okuma Cold Water series and I love them. I also have the Daiwa Accudepths and those have been reliable as well.
finsntins
Species: salmon

Post by finsntins »

I have around 25 okumas between both my boats,mostly magda pros,a few convectors and have had 3 drags malfunction in almost 10 years of fishing.i fish from ice out to ice over.i sent them to tuna toms reel service and he goes through them,puts a new drag system in and they come back like new for about 15 bucks.im not saying there isn't a better reel out there,but the okumas will last just as long as any other reel if,like was stated above,you take care of them.i tried a couple either diawa or shimanos,cant remember,which one, and the line counter is mounted to the side of the reel and digs into your arm when fighting a fish,it drove me nuts and sold them after one weekend.stick with what you have,send them to tuna toms and have them serviced and new drags put in them and put all the money you saved into other equipment.
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing