Winterizing boat/using it in Nov/Dec?

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Matt
Species: Any

Winterizing boat/using it in Nov/Dec?

Post by Matt »

Been a while since I posted...lots of stuff going on. Hoping to be done with yet more home repairs in the next few weeks. Horrible experience so far...very stressful stuff.

I'm looking at how to approach Nov and Dec fishing in the lake in my boat. Have not had time to do all the required research, so I come to you frostbiters for help.

The boat motor is a 2001 40 HP 2 stroke Merc...I haven't had any issues with it this year besides the impeller line clogging and flooding it once on the lake.

My questions are...

The boat is inside a detached, unheated garage right now. Do I need to worry about below freezing temps??

If I decide to take it out in a week or two, what can I expect to run into for issues? I don't plan on going out in below freezing temps.

If it struggles to start- what can I do and what could be wrong? I had it happen in the summer once, but I think it wasn't choked enough...how do you know when to STOP choking it if it won't start?

Once I am done fishing for the year, how do I winterize it if I'm leaving it in the unheated garage?

Thanks guys. Hoping to get through this house nightmare and get back to normal asap.

Matt
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Re: Winterizing boat/using it in Nov/Dec?

Post by Surprise »

Do I need to worry about below freezing temps??

ONLY IF YOU ARE SLEEPING IN THE BOAT.......R
Fish On!
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Randy I have to comment, that is so funny to me, because I moped around the house and told my wife I would sleep in the boat, finally she said it would be too cold and don't you dare sleep in the boat. Problem is when I get home and the bills come in, I may be sleeping in the boat.
Matt, don't worry about your motor freezing , just drop it down all the way to drain it. Also I once had a Merc that was real tough to start in the cold and I would take my heat gun to it before I left the house.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Matt, some times older motors have trouble slumping gas up to carb due to small leaks. That is why choking helps solo much. If you smell gas, you have choked it too much.

Dont worry about cold, just drain the lower unit water around prop each time. I haven't winterized my boat in the 3 years since new. I also haven't gone more than a month without taking it out for 3 years either..

Fish on!
Matt B
Matt

Post by Matt »

Jimbow sent a helpful PM about starter fluid and some info on fogging on my last day out. How do I know when to spray, when the motor starts to die from lack of gas?

I run non ethanol, so should I have to treat the gas anyway?
Matt

Post by Matt »

Reelax wrote:Matt, some times older motors have trouble slumping gas up to carb due to small leaks. That is why choking helps solo much. If you smell gas, you have choked it too much.

Dont worry about cold, just drain the lower unit water around prop each time. I haven't winterized my boat in the 3 years since new. I also haven't gone more than a month without taking it out for 3 years either..

Fish on!
Will trimming the motor all the way down get rid of the Water, or should I use an air gun to blow at the outtake? Would an air compressor help clear the water out or is there a one way valve somewhere?
Surprise

Post by Surprise »

Matt

I have Never Winterized a motor in 40 years. I burn Non-Ethanol, Use Best 2 stroke oil, and have used Startron additive since it was made. I leave my onboard Non-Ethanol gas tank full to prevent condensation but with Ethanol best advise to empty tank. Gas goes bad very quickly.

Winter fishing: Boat on trailer, Lower motor, give it a spin and run 10-15 seconds. Nothing will happen as all is wet and not frozen tight. It will blow most remaining water. At home lower the motor again so the lower unit hub doesen't become a catch basin. When reentering the water in freezing temperatures the pee hole or hose may have frozen. It will thaw as the motor warms up running on the trailer at the ramp in the water. Don't poke it with a wire or anything. Leave the cowl on to keep/ build heat. NOTHING is Broken if you did the process from the start.

Mice are a bigger issue. KILL E'M ALL on sight.
I installed mice screen at the air intake on the motor cowling. 2 motors- 1 roll paper towels - nest and chewed wires = $800. Second motor 11 hickory nuts down into reed valves = $1000 +

Dealer showed where mice had lugged sunflower seeds up thru the exhaust hub and filled a clyinder.

Randy
Fish On!
Doublebag
Species: all

Post by Doublebag »

I've had the same motor (40 hp, 2 stoke Merc) on my primary fishing boat (Tracker) since I bought it new in 2002. In the winter I store the boat outside under a cover.

All I do to winterize the motor is add the proper amount of Stabil to the gas. Then I empty the carb by detaching the gas line and running the motor until it stalls. I trim the motor all the way down, then take both batteries, all the electronics, and all the other stuff out and store it in the basement.

I open all the doors (livewell, battery compartment, rod storage areas, etc.) to keep air circulating through the boat and minimize mouse hiding places. I make sure that the bow of the boat is higher than the stern (and the plug is removed) so that any water that gets under the cover will drain out. Then I cover the boat, using a tarp secured with bungee cords over a peaked frame held in place with ratchet straps. The tarp covers the boat, motor, and trailer frame.

In the spring I put two new spark plugs in the motor, put the batteries and electronics back, clean the boat, put a shot of grease in the trailer bearings, check the trailer lights, pump up the primer bulb and go fishing.

This has been my routine for 15 years.
tree-on
Species: Pike

Post by tree-on »

For winterizing I have been putting mothballs in the boat and under the cowl for years. Have not had a mice problem, just make sure you clean them out before starting. Star tron has never let me down with the fuel, i actually run it year round. Have not done any cold weather trips with it though, old evinrude does not like to start below 45, and the thought of ice on the ramp scares me.
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

Matt wrote:Jimbow sent a helpful PM about starter fluid and some info on fogging on my last day out. How do I know when to spray, when the motor starts to die from lack of gas?

I run non ethanol, so should I have to treat the gas anyway?
Starter fluid in a 2 stroke can cause cylinder damage. It's a strong solvent and can remove the lubrication from the walls and pistons. That can lead to scoring and loss of compression. It's the same as running it with no oil in the gas.

To winterize I just drop the legs on the engines and drain gas from the carburetors. For one season there's enough oil left on the crank and in the cylinders to not have to worry about fogging it.
Surprise

Post by Surprise »

Tree-on

Frostbiters bring sand a chisel and shovel and Mike from F&WL has a sand barrel at Converse.

Don't forget if you side down the ramp You will stop when the wheels break the water level .....
I've heard e'm Squeal Like a Little Girl when sliding Though .....Ha, Ha
Fish On!
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

After working at a marine shop, my advice for a 2 stroke outboard is simple. Treat the gas no matter if it's non ethanol. Yes to fogging oil. Absolutely NO to starting fluid. It can build up pressure and blow out the crank seals. Yes to Fluid Film on trailer. Make sure your fuel lines and primer bulb are good or they'll fail in the cold. Change any filters. I'm not one to fish when ice forms on the rod tips, so the rest is up to the true Frostbiters.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I ended up fogging the motor a few days ago. I read that you want to fog it until it dies, but it did NOT want to die. Struggled, but just wouldn't die. I ended up shutting it off after constant fogging for like 30 seconds.

Smoked real good, pulled the plugs and fogged inside as well. Disconnected the gas line, pulled my batteries out and backed it into a garage.

I didn't have much trouble starting it, and its been sitting since early Sept. One thing I noticed was that the first time I turned the key, nothing happened. I thought the battery was dead. I tried a few more times and then it turned over. Choked it for a bit and then it started. Lasted about 10 seconds before it sputtered and died. Choked and started again and it stayed running.

What could I have done better next time? The tank is half full of non-ethanol. Should I treat it with something?

What should I do come Spring? The plugs I took out looked pretty dirty. Should I replace the plugs before I burn the fogging oil off in the Spring? Or should I replace them after? Thanks for all your help guys!
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

Don't over think it, man. I change the gear oil in late fall, drain gas out of carbs, and drop the leg down. No problems for me come spring so far. It's basically just a big chainsaw engine.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

I have never fogged an engine. Just put it away. Make sure you run it til the gas is out of the carburetor. I had a 50 horse 1975 Johnson that I bought in 1980 and finally killed it in 2010. Don't over think or maintain this stuff. Do the basics and unless you are fishing 2 or 3 hundred hours a year, your motor will last you a long time.