Help finding pike

Share info on fishing Champlain.
MaineStripedbass
Species: Bass pike,big fish

Help finding pike

Post by MaineStripedbass »

Hi,

I moved from Vt to Maine 10 years ago and well the saltwater keeps me busy all summer this time of year I like to catch pike there are pike in Maine but I would like to try Champlain out well I am back visiting family.

I well have my boat with me and am looking for areas to target bays, what type of structure and depth to look in this time of year.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can though my way, I am more then welling to reciprocate if you find yourself wanting to fish the Maine coast.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Re: Help finding pike

Post by C-Hawk »

Take a look at the Willsboro report. Mallets Bay always has pike. My best spot is from the mouth of the Lamoile to the rocks south of there, 15 fow.
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

Walleye or Northerns? Malletts Bay along the railroad bed has worked well and Missisquoi Bay always holds fat Northerns. Walleye spots are more secretive, but boats have been spotted at night on the Inland Sea.
Doublebag
Species: all

Post by Doublebag »

I've never made a serious attempt at catching pike by trolling, but I've caught scads of them in Champlain while fishing for bass.

Trolling might work well, but if I was specifically targeting northerns, I'd be looking for weed beds and mats in 2-10 FOW. These areas are all over the lake, but I'd probably start with the section immediately south of the Champlain bridge down to Ticonderoga. I'd also fish around wood cover, especially in the lower reaches of tributaries like Otter Creek, and the Lamoille. I'd be throwing big, gaudy spinnerbaits and chatterbaits in white and chartreuse, and topwater lures like frogs and Zara Spooks. I'd be using conventional bass baitcasting equipment but using a heavy flourocarbon leader (at least 25 lbs) about 2-3 ft. long to minimize bite-offs.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Anywhere south of the Crown Point is good...if you want to troll for them use large spoons like a mag Honeybee or a stick bait, stay close to weedy shore lines in about 12 ft. of water without entering the weeds is a good bet. You may pick up a gar or big bass while doing so as well. A short titanium wire leader is recommended unless you like loosing baits. Another good bet is just getting some large live bait such as suckers or golden shiners and hitting the same areas while anchored, a longer wire leader and a minimum of 20 lb test is recommended in that case since they WILL head directly into the weeds and you will have to dig them out.