Fall 2017 Hatchery Brook Observations:

Share info on fishing Champlain.
digitroll (ron)

Fall 2017 Hatchery Brook Observations:

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Thought it would be interesting with all the people that visit it from time to time that have reported here to start a post on what's being observed in the pool before (west of route 314) and the outflow in the lake:

Today 9/26 1:00 pm:

One lean dark male 25"-26" in the pool maybe 6.5 lbs. Nothing breaking water out front of the outflow.

Two trailers at the launch at Apple. One large white glass boat trolling the trench off Cedar / Fish Bladder.

Tag your it!
Honest John
Species: All interested parties

Re: Fall 2017 Hatchery Brook Observations:

Post by Honest John »

I saw a very big brown in the pool a couple of weeks back! Also saw two salmon up the brook on the east side of 314.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

I would think there would be many fish there... This is alarming..

Great idea Ron!!!
Matt B
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

I saw 8-10 shaker size salmon in the pool last Wed.
Wdrnr
Species: Salmon Lakers, warm if needed

Post by Wdrnr »

We had incredible numbers of fish two falls ago. Amazed that they are all gone ... very dishartening . Birds didn't eat these fish. Fisheries folks said most were two years old. Lamprey predation,, maybe.
Theres something else going on .... like has been mentioned, fisheries biologists monitor this site. They need to chime in cause the silence is telling me they don't want to talk about it...
riverrunner
Species: Salmonids

Post by riverrunner »

I did notice some white fungus on fish coming into the hatchery brook last year. That's not good! Also heard rumors of this happening on the NY side rivers. With the low water the fish had to beat them selves up going into the brooks and rivers, scraping off their slime layer. Which with the warmer water, increases the fishes chance to come in contact with bad bacteria and other diseases. Plus with the extra effort of spawning, I'm sure a number of salmon died just by trying to procreate.
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

Post by popster »

Observed 2 Salmon yesterday afternoon in the 8-10 lb range in the pool. Beautiful fish. Rain & cooler temps should get things going. Still early
Bill
"POINTER"
Honest John
Species: All interested parties

Post by Honest John »

Popster wrote:Observed 2 Salmon yesterday afternoon in the 8-10 lb range in the pool. Beautiful fish. Rain & cooler temps should get things going. Still early
I agree still early with this warm weather
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

i dont know about hatchery brook but i do know there were salmon in the rivers on the ny side and now they are back out to the lake . the water is to warm but they will return how many dont know. my concern also was the white fungus on salmon also last year. hoping for the best this year. was told the water temperature in the winooski river was 78 degrees way to warm for salmon to enter the rivers.
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

Surface water near Juniper ledge was 74°F(!) today. Cold water was down near 100'. Hopefully some cold rain will bring the rivers temps down long before the lake cools off.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Has anyone ever taken the water temperature at Hatchery brook? Wondering as it cycles thru from deep water input from the lake the output temperature must be a lot colder than most tribs this time of year thus eliminating the too warm and low theory for the fish to ascend. It's a constant very fast flow as well and it never becomes low, slow, and warm. Interesting that salmon will go all the way up to the salmon hole in summertime months against very warm conditions if its running fast after a big rain.
bagman
Species: trout

Post by bagman »

Saw one large salmon and 3 14inch trout today
Z.G
Species: Anything that bites

Post by Z.G »

An even better idea would be to not allow fishing from shore during the salmon run in fall. There's a guy that goes there with a treble hook with 3 "eggs" and drifts it through the current snagging fish. It's not a particularly ethical place to fish..
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Z.G wrote:An even better idea would be to not allow fishing from shore during the salmon run in fall. There's a guy that goes there with a treble hook with 3 "eggs" and drifts it through the current snagging fish. It's not a particularly ethical place to fish..
I hope you turn him in... this thread is somewhat helpful as folks checking all the time will keep him more honest. This has been an issue for years and I agree 100%, fishing should be off
Limits in the whole cove area around the hatchery. If you can get a pic of him, we would all love to see it!!!
Matt B
bagman
Species: trout

Post by bagman »

I couldn't agree more with relax and zg