Fall 2017 Hatchery Brook Observations:

Share info on fishing Champlain.
digitroll (ron)

Re: Fall 2017 Hatchery Brook Observations:

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Some good early news after seeing some of the data and talking with our folks that monitor the fish tagging. Up until this heat wave that shut things down for the fish running the early data suggests we are off to a good start with 24 fish at the Winooski and 11 fish at the hatchery brook. The bulk of the fish won't start running for a few more weeks based on historical data. These early fish returns this year before the heat wave hit recently were above average for these early numbers based on the data from prior years before Sept. 21st. It is important to note that 80% of the run happens from Oct. 15-Nov. 15th. The early data is a good indicator.

Another important thing to understand is the salmon are stocked 2 weeks before the Cormorants arrive from their migration north in the Spring.

I have been impressed with the amount of bait I have been seeing this year on my Lowrance HDS sonar.

I am looking forward to see how the run shapes up and the shocking and netting efforts in conjunction going on in the next 6 weeks.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

I for one like the reports on the Hatchery Brook. Our camp is not far from the brook and when i get up there in a week or so i will do look and give some reports like you other members are doing now.
Thanks to you all.
Z.G
Species: Anything that bites

Post by Z.G »

Reelax wrote:
Z.G wrote:An even better idea would be to not allow fishing from shore during the salmon run in fall. There's a guy that goes there with a treble hook with 3 "eggs" and drifts it through the current snagging fish. It's not a particularly ethical place to fish..
I hope you turn him in... this thread is somewhat helpful as folks checking all the time will keep him more honest. This has been an issue for years and I agree 100%, fishing should be off
Limits in the whole cove area around the hatchery. If you can get a pic of him, we would all love to see it!!!

Only for that time though, as there's some great fishing in that cove other times of the year!

No photo of him(haven't fished it in a couple years now), but he had a wooden stand for his rods.
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

Wasn't it last year that some guy was caught? The fishery has enough trouble as it is. Hope he gets nailed.