Disappointing season - thus far

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Re: Disappointing season - thus far

Post by Captain Paul »

Wdrnr wrote:To add to this a bit, a quick trip by hatchery brook this weekend again showed very little return action thus far. There was just one fish in the pool below the road. I have never seen a fish on this lake as beat up as this salmon was. Looked like a post spawn king about to die. If the fisheries folks retrieved this one they might find something new in terms of sickness. Something is going on lake wide, stocking numbers down, disease, genetics change, it can't be just the birds....

Do not under estimate what Cormorants eat the study on young Island showed that flock of Cormorants (4000 BIRDS) Ate 1.5 Million pound of fish from Lake Champlain annually. Salmon, Brown Trout and Rainbow Trout are easy picking for them.
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

There are likely about 20,000 of them now on Champlain, which means they're consuming about 4 million pounds of fish every spring-fall. And they're incredible underwater hunters, able to dive to 140+ feet and swallow fish in the 5 pound range. I don't think it's really a mystery, as the few fish I've seen this year have been very healthy. I think we now have to accept the fact that there's been a population collapse, and it will take aggressive cormorant control and restocking to get back to 2015-ish salmon numbers in four or five years. But only if the birds are under control.

https://youtu.be/H8VNVbRnj_c

Just to be clear, there is debate as to whether they're invasive or not, as they are native to North America and their range is anywhere near large water bodies. They've been nesting here for about 100 years. But something has tipped the balance and the population is no longer sustainable if we want to have anything other than white perch in the lake.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Very challenging year from Split Rock to the Inland Sea. After the wet / cold / windy May and June there was high expectations for July and that month came and went and we had had some traction on 3 trips last week of July and first week of August with a few nice salmon in three different areas. Last 6 weeks thru yesterday no legal salmon taken. Trib. salmon counts will tell the tale over the next two months from the Bouquet / Winooski / Lamoille / Hatchery brook. Our toughest year in 35 years to date! No sugar coating it here. We were blessed fishing May and after Labor day on Lake O and a great inland watershed in late August in Michigan. Those 3 trips salvaged our year to date.

Tighten the seatbelt as we head down the home stretch.
fishfarmer
Species: Piscies

Post by fishfarmer »

I get the Winooski Lift numbers in my work email. I believe I saw they have lifted 24 salmon so far. I'll try and keep you guys informed when I get updates.

There were salmon up the Winooski midsummer.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Thanks Al! Would you know a contact for the Bouquet and Hatchery Brook to get actual daily capture data?
pfu
Species: Cold and warm species

Post by pfu »

Began the year with high expectations after a decent year last year. With kids getting married, buying/building houses and of course a heavy work load, did not get out as much as I wanted. Yes the fishing was tough nearly all year with sporadic good days in between but a bad day fishing still beats a good day at work.

Didn’t post much this year as had little to tell (and my account had issues) and for the longest time I thought it was me. Learned late we all had some pains but kept going at it. For me my shining star was I caught more fish on my own hand painted spoons than purchased ones. Always put down four – two of mine and two purchased - in the same target areas. Because I fish with 8# test I lost a share of lures but am excited to paint more during the winter months.

Previous years we caught many Lakers over 12# but biggest this year was just over 10#. Many hits but then nothing there. Seems to have been a common theme this year. We also saw gaps in fish sizes causing concerns for the future. Willing to do my part in getting the word out. Just not sure if it is the birds, overfishing or abnormality to be chalked up for 2017. Time will tell but do agree we need to stay on top of this before it is too late.

Boat coming out within the next two weeks. Good luck to all the frost bite fisherman, tight lines and wish for a better 2018!
Doublebag
Species: all

Post by Doublebag »

I do not have nearly as much experience on Champlain as most who post to this board, but i have been trolling for salmon and lakers for a long time, using all the traditional and modern techniques. Take my thoughts for whatever they may be worth.

In my opinion, the weather this spring and summer created unusual lake conditions, which may have contributed to lower salmon catch rates for those looking for fish in the "usual" locations. The water temperatures were strange and I think it certainly impacted our salmon catch. Like many, I observed predation by cormorants, even catching one 18-inch salmon with a razor-like cut across its abdomen that exposed its internal organs. I also saw what seemed to me to be a very large number of lamprey wounds on the fish that I caught - though I understand that most feel that the number of lampreys is declining. Again, I don't have the long term experience on Champlain to have a feeling for the lamprey population trend.

In any case, my sense is that between cormorants, lampreys, and fishermen, there is, overall, a lot of pressure on the Champlain lake trout and salmon populations - perhaps more so on the salmon. At the same time, there appears to be a lot of forage in the lake (alewives and smelt), and those fish that survive the pressure can grow quickly.

We boated some impressive (at least to me) salmon and lakers this season. I also caught a 30-inch lake trout without any fins clipped - perhaps the result of natural reproduction. Overall, we did not catch as many salmon as I would have hoped, but I don't think all is lost.
pieman9155
Species: trout

Post by pieman9155 »

fished willboro bay 9/28 to 10/1 1 laker 1 brown 3 salmon
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Post by ThreeBuoys »

I'm still not giving up on the Broad Lake up north by Stave and Providence. A little on the chilly side yesterday morning around 8am. Picked up a few medium sized Lakers in the 7-8 pound range.
80ft. down over 150 fow. Water temps were 53-55 degrees. They seemed to like a Mooselook, white with red dots smeared with pro cure smelt. I know, I know.......no Salmon! I will keep pounding away until November......
On another note, I have seen large #'s of Cormorants this year. I almost can't believe my eyes sometimes. Seems like thousands in one flock. If in fact these birds can eat pounds of fish in one day, and dive to over 100 ft., no wonder we have an issue. I also would like to hear what the experts have to say.