Lite Bite Observations

Share info on fishing Champlain.
JDK
Species: Togue

Lite Bite Observations

Post by JDK »

We are about 80% through our open water season here and I thought I'd post observations from a first time lite bite user. I received great information and suggestions so I thought I'd let you know how it is going.

The salmon, trout, and togue fishing has been outstanding this year. Lots of fish and lots of big fish. Right now most of the salmon and trout are suspended 35-50 feet down over deeper water but we have had huge hatches of smelt and they are moving into 40-60 feet of water.

My "normal" program is to run 2 riggers one at 35 and one at 45 either with or without flashers on the ball and sliding cheaters. I also run 2 leadcore on boards, usually 7 colors. Truthfully, you will catch all of the fish a human can want fishing this right now. I've yanked one of the leadcore set ups and committed to using the lite bite during every trip. I do not have a way, such as the Fishhawk TD, to know how deep the LB is running. Trolling speeds are normally 2.0 to 2.5 unless I am fishing for togue when I troll at 1.5 to 1.7

By far, riggers have resulted in the most fish, followed by the leadcore. The lite bite has put fish in the boat every trip but not in the numbers I was hoping. One oddity is that nearly all of the brookies I have caught have been on the slide diver.

Some general observations:

I found the set up and deploying of the diver very easy.

The slide diver chart says I should be getting about a 3:1 ratio at a #3 setting. At the speeds I am trolling, I find it closer to 2:1. This is based on me bumping bottom while going straight.

About 1/2 of the fish do not trip the arm. This is my fault, in that I believe the diver is broken and not operating correctly. It also does not slide well about 1/2 the time. I have not yet removed the tubing as suggested here.

I use fluorocarbon leader and started with 7 feet of 10 pound test. I had to lengthen the leader to 9-10 feet and drop down to 8 pound with better results. I also had to use a smaller bead and swivel that attaches the leader to the braid. This is a pain, especially when fishing alone.

IMHO, the slide diver is a nice lure delivery tool. As someone who has been trolling for salmon, trout, and togue for over 40 years, it is hard to put the riggers and leadcore away. I don't like the guessing game as to how deep they run and guess you'd need something like the TD to get you in the game. I know that nearly all here are seasoned slide diver users but I thought I'd pass along what I have learned so far as a season 1 newbie.

Thanks again to all that have helped me in my rookie season.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Re: Lite Bite Observations

Post by C-Hawk »

Nice report, thanks. I fish solo a lot, or with 2, so only need the slide diver when there is a third member. That being said, I have also seen where they can be very effective for late season, lure shy fish, that have seen a whole summer of cannon balls swimming by.
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

JDK, just out of curiosity, what water bodies are you on there?

The lite bites do have a steep learning curve and can be frustrating at times. I usually fish solo with two riggers so they only come out when I have a partner. But they do usually raise fish. I prefer them out of the box without the bigger weight or ring, so they're more effective in winter and spring for me.
JDK

Post by JDK »

I live in far northern Maine.

I'm usually fishing with either friends or my wife so I can experiment a little. When alone I use 2 lines. Figure the only way to learn how to use a slide diver is to actually use it.
JDK

Post by JDK »

Final observations. Just hoping this may help someone else out in the future

Borrowed a friend's Fishhawk this past weekend. I have no idea how that effects the dive rate.

As a test, I trolled at 2.0 #3 setting and 50 pound braid. Averaged a 2.7:1 dive rate

95 got me to 35
100 -38
110- 40
120-45

I went 7/9 on the LB with all fish tripping it. Even had a smelt and tiny perch. For the first time this year, the LB outfished leadcore off boards but not the downriggers.

Take care and have a great Fall.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Great data... I find a 1:3 rate with stock diver close and a 1:2 rate with heavy weight and large ring kit... My findings, like yours are a combo of bottom hits and using the tdfishhawk. This is good info!!! 50lb braid rules for the slide diver. Mono give too much stretch for good releases and hookups.
Matt B
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

This has been a good thread with lots of good info for those who never tried a lite bite, I have used them with great success for years.
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Post by ThreeBuoys »

Anyone know what the warranty is on the lite bite?
I have one that is only a few months old and the plastic around the rear arm cracked and it will not hold or release properly.
JDK

Post by JDK »

That is exactly what mine did.
riverrunner
Species: Salmonids

Post by riverrunner »

Call the company. I'm sure they will help you out
Adkhare
Species: All of em

Post by Adkhare »

I've been using mine on the last few trips but still no success and the learning curve is more like a learning cliff so far, a did have a weed release it which I would of dragged with dipsey so I'll take it as a step in the right direction and keep trying to run into a hungry fish, like the info you posted will be helpful
JDK

Post by JDK »

The learning curve for me was not knowing the depth. Reading depth charts and the internet, a 3:1 ratio on a #3 setting was pretty accepted. There were times this summer when I was completely confused and befuddled. Bumping bottom in 46-48 feet of water with 75 feet of line out on a #3 setting at 2.2-2.3 mph. The area is a large flat with no contours at all. The chart indicated I should have been down 20-25 feet. Still haven't figured that one out.

There was also period of time when it just would not fire at all. Numerous fish on leadcore and/or riggers while the LB never moved. Not knowing meant a complete guess as how to adjust. Too deep, too shallow, too short a leader, too heavy a leader?

But it is all fun and beats sitting on the couch.
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Post by ThreeBuoys »

Yeah, that seems to be the issue with the divers. Without another tool like the fish Hawk TD and a lot of experimenting one never knows for sure.
I run sliders all the time on my downriggers, and I think the depth on those can vary as well. Speed, angle of the cable, and primary line, weight of the lure...all variables that can be hard to measure.