Heading up to Willsboro

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Blazer1918
Species: Trout

Heading up to Willsboro

Post by Blazer1918 »

Only my second time on the lake, spending the week at a friends cottage on Willsboro Bay. Hoping to do some fishing for salmon up in the inland sea area at some point during the week. My main question, as I am obviously not very familiar with the lake, is how difficult is it to get my 18' Lowe Fish and Ski over the sandbar under the bridge and into that area. Was thinking worse case I use the trolling motor but again, totally new to the area so just not sure. Also, any tips for a newbie and his wife on fishing tactics etc. The boat is set up with downriggers and I have a lowrance hook 7 gps/fish finder. We plan to mainly troll for lakers and salmon but will also take a run down to Whallon Bay and that area to do some Bass fishing (was directed down that way by a friend who tells me he knows the lake well). Any advice is most appreciated!
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Re: Heading up to Willsboro

Post by tmcaul »

I think the sandbar that you mention is across the lake on the VT side. Willsboro Bay is "wide open" at its north end where you enter the broad lake. I live quite a bit further south, so I don't have any tips for fishing near Willsboro and can't help you with bass fishing either.

One thing to be careful of if you run from Willsboro Bay down to Whallons Bay is that is Pumpkin Reef. It extends far into the lake just around the tip of Willsboro Point. You need to avoid it as you turn south after leaving Willsboro Bay. It is marked by a can which is a long distance from shore. I once had a very bad experience there, well it was just money for me, the damage was to my prop and the lower portion of my outboard.

Hope this helps a little.

Tom
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
Blazer1918

Post by Blazer1918 »

Thanks Tom, I appreciate the info. I realize the sandbar is across the lake, was thinking that the inland sea area would be a good place to go if the main lake got a bit rough at some point. The wife is not a fan of rough water and I had heard and read that was a good spot to go
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

It's getting pretty skinny there, but some people will get out and walk the boat through, probably a hundred yards for the worst of it.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Don't forget you need a Vermont License to fish there too, I believe that's where the N.Y./VT license agreement ends. :cry:
Blazer1918

Post by Blazer1918 »

Thanks guys, guess I will take a look and see how it is. Not opposed to walking the boat thru. Will take shot and see how it goes, maybe give the new keel guard a workout