What the H-E- Double Hockey sticks is going on with this site?

Share info on fishing Champlain.
NHfishin4fun
Species: Bass/Pike/Salmon

What the H-E- Double Hockey sticks is going on with this site?

Post by NHfishin4fun »

I've been away for a couple of weeks and find out that my father got banned for the site. As far as I can tell, it all centers around him being "suspected" of being someone else and using too many question marks in his posts! If anyone had bothered to look, I have posted numerous times in the past that he was my father, we're from NH and that I have a camp in Grand Isle. I KNOW exactly who it is you "assume" he might be because, I've followed this site since it came over from the Pro-boards years ago!
I've spent most of this morning going over "Dickbaker"s previous posts trying to figure out what he may have posted that got him banned and what I have found is disappointing. Some people don't like to post pictures of themselves and he happens to be one of them. Then, he finally does post one at request and even that is still questioned if it's really him! Over years of posting, he has mentioned several times that he has written for Hawkeye. If you don't believe it, look it up rather than just accusing someone of lying! It's fricken public information. I can tell you that I have three copies of it sitting in my foot locker at home just because he published pictures of ME for his article! Yes, I am a real person and the level of paranoia I'm seeing here baffles me.
So he uses too many question marks? Are fishermen typically known for their level of grammar on message boards? Read over the "Great News" thread and challenge anyone to honestly say that "fishingmachine" is correct that "he didn't start it" when it came to conflict in that thread. Read the second post and tell me what he wrote that was attacking fishingmachine in any way and then read the third post and tell me that he WASN'T "starting it". Say what you want BUT, I can tell you that I've been around the man for a year or two and I KNOW the amount of time that he put in speaking with fish and Game from both NH and VT and state representatives in regards to the Atlantic Salmon program on the CT river.
Does he post topics or comments that cause a discussion? Absolutely. I've even talked with him about not stirring the pot at times BUT, at the same time, the topics that have been a bone of contention lately all appear to be in regards to fish conservation topics. I might be mistaken but I thought this site was about fishing on lake Champlain and that appears to be an appropriate topic. Not to mention, there were still more than a few people who did NOT disagree that it was something that could be discussed. For board members who don't want to read about conservation again, just don't read the thread! There is no justification for going on the attack just because you don't like someone's ideas.

Reelax- I'm horribly disappointed. I can read from the tone of your responses straight through that you have been under the assumption that he was Tony this whole time and it's clear you did nothing to look into it any more than the opinion you already formed. While I respect your ability to fish on Champlain, your input and contributions to this board in regards to my father have been clearly inflammatory and poisonous to the tone of this board. Which, I believe, was created in order to get AWAY from those kinds of attacks on the previous board!

C-Hawk- Other than the fact that, for some reason, he can't remember that you are "C-Hawk" and not "C-Hunt" ( He is forgetful?) I want you to know that he never meant it to come across as he was attacking you in the Laker thread. As far as I can tell, he was just trying to pull in more advice for the thread and had thought your post from last year indicated you my have some advice to add. Nothing but respect.

Matt- Keep up with the grammar checks

Raz- If you are involved in this board anymore, I hope you take a closer look at how all of this went down and remember that this board was created to be a collaborative site and not a dictatorship where you get smashed and banned because others may not agree with your ideas. This should be the kind of site where you can share different ideas and even have disagreements without being threatened.

Dave B. (Not Baker But, I am a real person and if you don't believe it, learn to live with it!)
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Re: What the H-E- Double Hockey sticks is going on with this site?

Post by raz »

Dave...I am "somewhat" involved with this site, but not like I used to be. It took too much time and I was tired of chasing crap. Crap being everything from Russian spammers to fulfilling requests from members. I'm sorry to see your dad removed. I had a discussion with others about it and there was a consensus that he was trying to cause trouble and unrest. I didn't push the issue very far as I was outvoted (majority rules) and I dislike dealing with it. Again, I'm sorry to see this crap.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

From my view he was using his title as outdoor writer as a weapon, and somehow that made his word gospel. After all everyone on this site is an outdoor writer. Also he has never offered a fishing report of his own, but knew all his stuff was going to be antagonistic. The C-Hunt thing to me was not a memory disfunction, but a result of his reply when pushed. In other words I think he can dish it better than he can take it.
NHfishin4fun

Post by NHfishin4fun »

C-Hawk,
The reason neither of us have opportunities to submit fishing reports is that I do not have internet when we're out at the camp and by the time we get home, our information is usually outdated. I'm sorry you feel that way about his posts. Like I said, neither he nor I have any issue with you and I'm sorry there isn't going to be anything that I could say that is likely to change your opinion. I can say that I don't get heated very often BUT, I've grown up with this man and know how passionate he is about conservation and fishing and how much time he spends researching and speaking with experts. Take it for what it's worth but, if he is posting that he has gotten information from experts and legitimate studies, then it IS gospel. If you look back at his posts, you will see that he doesn't post his own "opinions" as gospel. I can't say the same of some others that had responded.

In regards to the "memory thing", I would appreciate it if people would not disregard that. I'm trying not to get "testy" about it but, I am protective of him and wouldn't expect someone to be questioned if they were paralyzed simply because they weren't seen in a wheelchair.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Dick baker had offended many members and continually caused problems. I have gotten complaints from over 5 members from Dicks posts. He was warned and still called a member a disparaging name in his reply. He has never posted a positive report and contributed in a positive way.

Thanks or your concerns. But your dad should understand why he was banned had nothing to do with him writing some articles or having any specifis views. It was how he treated other members that got him banned.
Matt B
NHfishin4fun

Post by NHfishin4fun »

Raz,
Thank you. I understand. Maybe I'll catch up with you "under the mountain" sometime.
NHfishin4fun

Post by NHfishin4fun »

Reelax,
Again, I'm not trying to stir up trouble and that is NOT my way but, You have the ability to go into a profile and Pull up a members Posts. I just did that on his profile and went back through April looking for where he was putting up offensive posts. Other than a few that were in response to comments made to him, I would ask you to do the same. I understand the need to address complaints but I've read through those posts. He's congratulating people on nice fish, making jokes, asking questions and offering caution. There are NO posts in there where he randomly attacks anyone but I guarantee I can pull up several where HE was attacked for posting his opinion.

Read through his list of postings and tell me honestly that he has "never posted a positive report". Making a statement like that raises serious concerns for me if you had looked at this as a neutral and impartial moderator.
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

I agree with you, Dave. I never saw any posts from "dickbaker" that I thought should have gotten him banned. He did tend to stir the pot, but who doesn't now and then?
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Promise, my last comment on this matter, This whole thing started and ended with Dick Baker. You would not go to the PETA website , invite everyone over for a barbecue and expect a Kumbaya moment??? People here are passionate about their sport and don't need someone accusing them of wanton destruction of fish, year after year.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Maybe Dick can learn some respect for people with this experience. Some posts were deleted due to the inflamatory content. I don't see any reason to comment further on this subject.

Dave and Shawn I understand your position, but you are not aware of all the issues and complaints. If you were, I am sure you would understand better.

Thanks for your input it will be considered moving forward.

It is important to the membership of this forum that the issues that caused the demise of an older forum not happen here. That is why we need to be vigilant.
Matt B
NHfishin4fun

Post by NHfishin4fun »

Matt,

I certainly don't want to see the demise of another forum and, I'll also leave it with this last response. I sincerely hope that by "vigilant", that will mean fair and equal consideration for everyone,regardless of what their tenure with this site is. In this case, that did not happen and anonymous complaints and phantom deleted posts don't pass muster for justification. That "Great News" post was not deleted and he was clearly Not the aggressor initially in that thread. If there continues to be favoritism like that in the forum, then it is most certainly going down the same path.

You are right in that there may be deleted posts that i'm not aware of but, I don't believe it. I'm familiar with his style and what you are describing is not it. By saying that he has "never contributed in a positive way" is just false and anyone who chose to actually look into it and read through his posts would know that. I'm disappointed and have lost confidence that this board still operates on the principles that originally led to it's creation.
hard knox
Species: salmon

Post by hard knox »

Sounds like to much rain and not enough fish to me . :roll:
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

C-Hawk wrote:Promise, my last comment on this matter, This whole thing started and ended with Dick Baker. You would not go to the PETA website , invite everyone over for a barbecue and expect a Kumbaya moment??? People here are passionate about their sport and don't need someone accusing them of wanton destruction of fish, year after year.
https://youtu.be/qdFLPn30dvQ
Bocco
Species: The ones that bite

Post by Bocco »

Lesson learned? Don't be a Dick! :lol:
Probably a bad attempt to lighten things up. :oops:
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Sorry Harry but I promised no more comments. Funny though