Mallett's Bay

Share info on fishing Champlain.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Mallett's Bay

Post by keithm87 »

I have heard stories that Mallett's used to be some of the best fishing on the lake for salmon. With the fact that they seem MIA this year in other spots, has anyone ventured into that area to try their luck? I know boat traffic on weekends is almost unbearable, but what if they are all hiding there?
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Re: Mallett's Bay

Post by C-Hawk »

Heard of a few during the Rotary. I can't catch them there anymore. I can remember during the LCI , maybe a dozen years ago counting 60 boats. They say the water gets too warm for bait in the summer. I check it once in a while, but never with much confidence. I do know of 1 guy that swears he still catches them.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Outer bay, robinsons, narrows can call still produce salmon, just haven't put much time in there in a few seasons. This is a good idea and may be worth a day to prospect. THere could be a few pigs hanging out, away from the heavy action...
Matt B
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Post by ThreeBuoys »

I live on Porters Point on the Outer Bay. I have tried a few spots that were suggested to me last season without success. And in the tough wind I still troll around in there. A little bird told me the other day that Salmon were spotted right off the dock at Marble Island. If that is in fact true, then maybe it is worth more investigating.
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Post by ThreeBuoys »

Oh and the bird wasn't a Cormorant! :D
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

ThreeBuoys wrote:Oh and the bird wasn't a Cormorant! :D

Now that is hilarious!
Matt B
bigfish
Species: salmon

Post by bigfish »

Back in the early day, 70's and 80's and 90's . Mallets bay was a great place for salmon. Early spring off mallets creek was good . As water warmed and bait moved outta the inner bay the salmon would follow.
Fishing near the drop off from the low bridge on the fill to the opening to main lake as great, or off robinsons point or lamoille delta or the narrows produced salmon.
The outter bay used to be stellar for salmon in may and June.
With the decline in smelt in that area I believe the salmon in any number have moved.
I remember many derbies years ago. That if you weren't in the outter bay , you weren't where the salmon were.
Things have changed!!
Tight lines