Where is salmon

Share info on fishing Champlain.
digitroll (ron)

Re: Where is salmon

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Here is where the salmon are: Oak Orchard :) Webcam live this morning 7:30 am July 13th:

Thorny

Post by Thorny »

In my experience. Salmon relate to 3 basic things in there day to day routines. Bait/Temp and Current. This year that recipe has not delivered as it has in the past. Years ago when Lamprey Control was lax,we never had 4/5 year olds. We did have lots of small fish. We slowly and steadily got lamprey under control and the fishery continued to improve and peak in 2015 when we had a record run in the rivers. Over 1500! But we have continued to ignore the growing Cormorant problem. Budget cuts led to less shooting and then the ruling banning all control last year was the nail in the Coffin. Last year 2016 the run in the rivers was cut in half! 700+. The majority of the run in the rivers is 2 year olds. We are enjoying a good fishery of 4 year olds this year. They are from the 2015 1500 fish River run. Next years 4 year olds will be cut in half because they only had 700 in 2016. But we have a very limited supply of 2 year olds. More than likely because the cormorants devoured them last year. This should be confirmed in this years River run assessment. Its not a pretty trend. I'm no biologist. In my opinion a future fishery is dependant on cormorant control or possibly a creative plan to stock our fish in the fall after the cormorants have gone. Lake Trout are stocked in the fall.
Captain Rob Thorne
Captain Thorny's Fishing Charters
Rcthorne1@aol.com
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

I agree with Ron and Thorny completely, last fall and winter I didn't fish the rivers that much due to low water which played a big part in the runs up the rivers as well as the lack of fish..period!. The year before it was excellent. I mentioned the cormorants and fall stocking in my "tough year" post as well as adding my 2 cents to any of the several cormorant posts. I brought the cormorant issue up at the March meeting in Burlington and pounded it every chance I got here. We all know now that it is a Federal Judge that has to change that so good luck getting that done. But I believe we can do something about the stocking program. We need to give what fish that are stocked a fighting chance of getting through the first few critical months so they have a fighting chance against predators such as the birds. At the meeting this past spring, a topic of the way the fish were raised was also brought to our attention. Capt. Thorny played a big part in that with his reported "DNA/census" count. It seems that the data he provided showed the "stream water" raised fish did better than for a lack of a better or correct word, the "well water" ones did. This data as well as WHERE the fish were stocked in the lake had an impact on the "catch-able" fish. Maybe this is another way of getting the best bang for the buck. There are some people catching fish and they will say all this is bunk but I think many of us who aren't on the lake everyday will agree that it is increasingly hard to find legal sized salmon. I think an increase in the numbers of browns and rainbows stocked will also be a good idea, the lake has more than enough bait to support them and they may have a better chance of survival under certain conditions and give a greater "variety" . Thanks Ron and Thorny for keeping this issue alive.
digitroll (ron)

Reelax wrote:Every time we get a salmon bite going, it rains more and stirs things up again. Last time out we got salmon, but also huge grass matts in the mix. Best area I can suggest right now are NY shore between Westport and barn Rock. 100-200 fow, salmon were down 25-35 on Saturday. Some large bait balls in the area, when you locate, spin on em... Last time out all salmon came within a 100 yard area, after trolling 11 miles to find it...

I call it prospecting for silver....
It can be a search mission this past season for sure involving long hours on the water in a day to find that school in a very small piece of real estate.

I personally know some folks that fish from shore on our side that are known fly fishing spots near current where bridges are located and they as well in a short 4 week window have expressed concern of not seeing the 17" fish normally caught in abundance in those areas in May to early June. They have seen a few big fish but thats been it. This is a red flag from those areas that the fish frequent as well. The Fall river return census will be very telling of the last two year classes of fish. I can't believe weather and wind and a cold wet spring would affect those areas near bridges and current for the folks that fish these spots consistently as the lake transitions from Spring to Summer temps and those fish move thru those and out of those areas.
Vtmopar
Species: Everything

Post by Vtmopar »

Do you guys think the increasing population of white perch in the lake might have an effect?
High Plains Drifter
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Post by Captain Paul »

I believe that we have to change the way we are stocking until the Cormorant issue is dealt with. I think fall stocking could be a great option. I also believe if we where to increase the size of the fish we stock to 14 to 18 inches we would slow the effects of Cormorants down considerably. I also believe we should be spreading the fish out over a much bigger area with many less fish dumped in one spot so that when Cormorants fly over them they are not such a big target.
digitroll (ron)

I know why I haven't been catching many salmon this year on Champlain! It's not the cormorants! I don't bring it to Ontario so there is the proof!

jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

OK ...sounds like you might have Ron....:?: :?: :?: :?: :o :shock: :lol:
digitroll (ron)

It's been the kind of season if we get 1 salmon per outing (3-4 hours or less) after 9 am we feel successful. I am sure the numbers would go up a bit if we started at sunrise and fish till 1 pm. It is what it is.

Been out 3 times in the last 4 weeks. August 1st Tuesday Summer is going by!
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

Great insight guys.... that ontario trip ruined me. Haven't salmon fished since the last day od lci where i caught 4
digitroll (ron)

Heading over to the Big O in 4 weeks. Can't wait! Champlain is a boat ride for us practicing while we wait to go over to Ontario and catch the real thing. :)
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Ron when you go to the Big O take lots of photos and take notes so we can live your trip without being there. Maybe some underwater footage with a water wolf.
digitroll (ron)

It will be my first late season trip since 2003. Hope the winds stay light to keep the water temp. stable. It's fun to talk about the great fishing...on the flip side the wind on the eastern end can make it a miserable bitch to deal with. Thats why we fish the western end in the spring.

I don't have a Water Wolf. I had one for one week and sold it. Didn't like the size of the thing and hope a much smaller version comes out to replace it in the future.