Where is salmon

Share info on fishing Champlain.
yvest
Species: lakers,salmon

Where is salmon

Post by yvest »

Hi everybody.

Did some peoples has catch some salmon because on port douglas.. no salmon yet... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Re: Where is salmon

Post by keithm87 »

In about 20 trips fishing the out of shelburne we have caught a total of 2... Lakers galore, but if we target salmon we strike out.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Still incredibly slow up north
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Early August hoping to get out. Month of July off the water this year with family commitments during the week days. I haven't had a very productive year thru June 28th last time out for salmon. I have fished from Converse to the Sea. You hear of a few people further down south of Otter to the bridge getting some...but Converse / Central area up to the Sea has been a challenge. If I was too guess maybe 30 salmon this year for 31 trips (125 hrs of fishing) with a record amount of skunk trips for salmon for 31 trips spanning late January and each month thru June 28th. No shorts all legal. That estimate is probably on the low end of actual salmon taken...but reflect how tough it's been as I don't record actual catches. We only caught one brown in late January's on Randy's vessel and that has been it for Browns and Rainbows thru June 28th and 31 trips.

In contrast:

We landed 30 Kings / 1 big Atlantic at the Bar in 3 1/3 days of fishing or 30 hrs. :) 5th best trip ever in 16 years of going. Kept 1 King for friends rest returned.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Every time we get a salmon bite going, it rains more and stirs things up again. Last time out we got salmon, but also huge grass matts in the mix. Best area I can suggest right now are NY shore between Westport and barn Rock. 100-200 fow, salmon were down 25-35 on Saturday. Some large bait balls in the area, when you locate, spin on em... Last time out all salmon came within a 100 yard area, after trolling 11 miles to find it...

I call it prospecting for silver....
Matt B
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

muddy water has to clean up first,may take all summer at this rate
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Post by ThreeBuoys »

Fished the Inland Sea on Sunday morning for about 3 hours. I don't fish that area very often, and don't know it that well. We did catch 2 Salmon, both were in the 10 inch range....that was it.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Your right Matt..Search / Search / Search. With our typical 4 hour window 9 am -1 pm it's been a challenge for us and the time to find them within that window as we dedicate to an area to fish. It's a good comparison though for our past 10 years fishing the same window. Weather / Wind has made it a hunt and seek activity that is for sure.

Looking forward to getting back into it in early August. My golf game is getting better this month! :)
yvest
Species: lakers,salmon

Post by yvest »

Tk guys for the information. It's what I heard. Last year at this time I have catch 150 salmon but this year I have only fish 2 days but my friend has only catch 3 salmon on willsborough bay. Last week he goes to wesport to the south and after barn rock harbor and no hit. So this weekend I go fishing to port douglass and try to catch some salmon...

Yves
keithm87

Post by keithm87 »

Reelax wrote:Every time we get a salmon bite going, it rains more and stirs things up again. Last time out we got salmon, but also huge grass matts in the mix. Best area I can suggest right now are NY shore between Westport and barn Rock. 100-200 fow, salmon were down 25-35 on Saturday. Some large bait balls in the area, when you locate, spin on em... Last time out all salmon came within a 100 yard area, after trolling 11 miles to find it...

What were the temps you were finding at that depth? We were marking a bunch of bait north of juniper towards appletree shoal, all down 30ish in small pods, but the temp was 67 there, so we sent cheaters and stuck with main lines at 55 where we found the temp break. Sounds like the salmon may be holding in the warmer water with the bait.
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

keithm87 wrote:
Reelax wrote:Every time we get a salmon bite going, it rains more and stirs things up again. Last time out we got salmon, but also huge grass matts in the mix. Best area I can suggest right now are NY shore between Westport and barn Rock. 100-200 fow, salmon were down 25-35 on Saturday. Some large bait balls in the area, when you locate, spin on em... Last time out all salmon came within a 100 yard area, after trolling 11 miles to find it...

What were the temps you were finding at that depth? We were marking a bunch of bait north of juniper towards appletree shoal, all down 30ish in small pods, but the temp was 67 there, so we sent cheaters and stuck with main lines at 55 where we found the temp break. Sounds like the salmon may be holding in the warmer water with the bait.

Surface 66-67, 20 down 55, 30 down 52, 40 down 48.. rough numbers, best recall
Matt B
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Seems like that might explain a lot, cooler water down south
Reelax
Site Admin

Post by Reelax »

C-Hawk wrote:Seems like that might explain a lot, cooler water down south
YES I agree.. On broad lake the current has helped hold the cold water higher I think... I haven't had to go below 35 to find silver yet down there...
Matt B
keithm87

Post by keithm87 »

Wow, we were finding the temp break as deep as 60ft in the broad lake north of juniper.
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Post by ThreeBuoys »

With the weather this week not looking any different than most of the Spring and Summer, it looks like we will still be waiting on the temps to stabilize.