GREAT NEWS

Share info on fishing Champlain.
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

GREAT NEWS

Post by fishingmachine »

the former fish hatchery in Bethel that spent millions of dollars trying to get Atlantic salmon to return to the Connecticut River will now be used to stock landlocks and lakers into Lake Champlain,according to the Rutland Herald.I cannot help but think this will be a boon to the fishery on Lake Champlain.My hats off to those folks who worked on this to make it happen.
dickbaker
Species: Salmon, pike and bass

Re: GREAT NEWS

Post by dickbaker »

fishingmachine? Just to mention that a decade ago it took several New England outdoor writers to get State politicians and NOAA to end the fruitless and costly Atlantic Salmon Restoration Program? It also took hurricane Irene's destruction of the Bethel hatchery, making it economically impossible to continue the salmon stocking??
Happy to see that it might now provide benefit to Champlain!! Sorry I missed you at the reopening ceremonies?
Dick
fishingmachine

Post by fishingmachine »

You give yourself a lot of credit Dick.Irene did what all the politicians and "outdoor writers" couldn't do.And that was to close down a useless wasteful stocking program.I see you and the politicos want to take all the credit for it,too.Sorry,I"m not buying it.Also sorry I scooped you on it here.I have known a lot of "outdoor writers" and I can't think of any I really like except Harold F. Blaisdel
dickbaker
Species: Salmon, pike and bass

Post by dickbaker »

fishingmachine? I love Harold Blaisel's writings and I have most of his books!
I have in no way taken any credit for ending the wasteful Conn. River Atlantic Salmon program?
I did my best to help New England Writers to convince NOAA and National Fish & Wildlife to end the Conn. River Atlantic Salmon Program. That required many days of research and hundreds of contacts with State and Federal agencies. We had modest success until hurricane Irene help the Feds make a decisive economic decision?? Those people who helped fund the reopening of the Bethel hatchery are amazing and worked hard!! I guess I'm happy that you didn't make the hatchery ceremonies??

I hope that Raz will remember that your mean and nasty posts are what ended the previous Champlain Fishing forum?? At least , no four letter words so far??

Dick
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

You seem to have a way to bring out the nastiness in people Dick.
fishingmachine

Post by fishingmachine »

dickbaker wrote:fishingmachine? I love Harold Blaisel's writings and I have most of his books!
I have in no way taken any credit for ending the wasteful Conn. River Atlantic Salmon program?
I did my best to help New England Writers to convince NOAA and National Fish & Wildlife to end the Conn. River Atlantic Salmon Program. That required many days of research and hundreds of contacts with State and Federal agencies. We had modest success until hurricane Irene help the Feds make a decisive economic decision?? Those people who helped fund the reopening of the Bethel hatchery are amazing and worked hard!! I guess I'm happy that you didn't make the hatchery ceremonies??

I hope that Raz will remember that your mean and nasty posts are what ended the previous Champlain Fishing forum?? At least , no four letter words so far??

Dick

I didn't start this ,Dick,you did,but I will end it. now
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

fishingmachine wrote:the former fish hatchery in Bethel that spent millions of dollars trying to get Atlantic salmon to return to the Connecticut River will now be used to stock landlocks and lakers into Lake Champlain,according to the Rutland Herald.I cannot help but think this will be a boon to the fishery on Lake Champlain.My hats off to those folks who worked on this to make it happen.
In fact this is a excellent news!
Thanks!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Excellent news Thanks for posting this Frank.

Dick, once again your comment about Frank is un warranted and off base. So... Good bye. :o
Matt B
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

That is grest news, but it would be great to see some more effort on browns,steelhead & walleye as these 3 would provide a bigger boom for angler effort & tourism.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

The salmon project was a bust from the start, 70 million over the years for a return of 15 fish per year. There are some USFW scientists that started and ended their career on this project. There are still around the same numbers returning annually without spending a nickel. This sounds like a much better program. Maybe NY should step up their stocking numbers a little bit Harry?
fishingmachine

Post by fishingmachine »

Walleyes!!!!!
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

I live near this hatchery. It's a big hatcher it never was used to its capacity so i hope it will now.
fishingmachine

Post by fishingmachine »

sounds like it would make a nice road trip for the family
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

I've never been to the Bethel hatchery, but we had a deer camp in Roxbury, in the '60's, and spent a few hours at the Roxbury hatchery. Lots of damage at that one, too. Sounds like a change of strategy was in order and Mother Nature gave it a push.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

It's counterpart, labratory-egg stripping, fry rearing facility in Sunderland Ma. sits basically unused.