Lake Trout Angler Mortality??

Share info on fishing Champlain.
dickbaker
Species: Salmon, pike and bass

Lake Trout Angler Mortality??

Post by dickbaker »

Since the salmon fishing is slow I see more fishermen doing catch and release for Lakers??
Just looking for input from fishermen who might be concerned with the number of dead Lakers returned after a successful day? This is a nor brainer for professional guides that survive by providing clients with a whole days worth of fish! But? What about recreational trollers who get into double digit laker days??
Connected with Vt. F&W biologist who confirmed that the Great Lakes data shows a 15 percent mortality rate for summer released Lakers? That indicates that every time a Champlain angler releases 20 lakers that 3 of them will die. He can also bring home 3 lakers for dinner?
We are concerned about Cormorants and Lamprey but what about fishermen??
Any chance that fishermen might seriously consider netting a couple of nice lakers and then go home??

Dick
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Re: Lake Trout Angler Mortality??

Post by C-Hawk »

Here we go again.
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

Several years ago while ice fishing ,I had an old timer tell me that them lakers ain't nothin but trash fish and to kill em all,cause they eat all the smelt,certainly a different perspective,eh?
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

C-Hawk wrote:Here we go again.
Got my popcorn ready!

I am going to chalk it up to Darwins Theory of Natural Selection.... kind of like that "Ghost" catfish or that mystery rod stealer known as "Brute" that Matty writes about..... the fish are so mean, fit and ugly they are uncatchable :D
hard knox
Species: salmon

Post by hard knox »

I would like to think that guys who catch and release fish all the time have a little better survival ratio then the average guy but maybe if we just kill them all they will feel better .I see dead bass on a regular bases from the average person fishing but very few from the regular bass guys . Please let them go and let them grow and only keep what you will eat .
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Post by ThreeBuoys »

From what I have experienced this year, the Laker population is doing just fine.
dickbaker

Post by dickbaker »

Is this a discussion that has taken place before?
Dick
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

dickbaker wrote:
Is this a discussion that has taken place before?
Dick

Yes, I think many times.... (deep water barotrauma, etc)

not that we shouldn't have it again, but I will need popcorn :P
Matt B
Cas
Species: the kind that swim

Post by Cas »

Certainly nothing wrong with us as anglers having a discussion about fish mortality (whether it's the first time or 10th time), and how we can reduce it. We'll never prevent it but reducing it to the best of our abilities is certainly important and always worthy of discussion as there's always new members joining.

How about some best practices listing?

* Single hooks instead of treble

* I know there's a way to do something with the air bladder for the deeply caught fish, but I have not done it, anyone care to explain?

* Release while in the water instead of netting if it's not photo worthy and you're not keeping it

* Less time in your hands, as that causes a loss of their "slime", which apparently is a protective coating of some kind?

* Removal of lamprey that may be attached (that's a given!)
________
Mike
jusgrinnin
Species: warm&cold

Post by jusgrinnin »

Don't forget the rubber net, un-hooking made easy with one little bounce and a single hook is out and fish is back in the water with no human hands on it.
dickbaker

Post by dickbaker »

Great Lakes biologists seem to have less concern about barotrauma and real concern about summer temperature change. Got back to a Superior biologist and he assures that 15 percent of released summer lakers will die. But he confirmed that lamprey removal may be a real compensation! July and August surface temperature seems a real concern. I have to think that quick release at boat side will
help moderate the effect of warm surface water and air temp.?
I can't agree that killing hundreds of lakers , over the summer is OK , just because we have good laker fishing?? The pressure on lakers will continue to increase unless we find the salmon again?
Dick
Last edited by dickbaker on Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Quick removal with needle nose pliers in the water (no net / no handling / single hooks) on Champlain. There is about a million lake trout in Champlain.

I release 99% of all fish including Kings in Ontario.
jusgrinnin
Species: warm&cold

Post by jusgrinnin »

I don't agree with killing fish or animals for no reason, our lake trout population in NH is out of control for example a friend and I a couple years ago jigging in Sept put 47 in the boat in less than 6hrs. Our lake managed for salmon are suffering because of the lake trout population among other things, so if the state would increase the daily limit it would help. I don't eat them so I don't keep any but I try not harm either, I don't even know if any of this makes any sense just my thoughts.
dickbaker

Post by dickbaker »

[quote="Digitroll (Ron)"]Quick removal with needle nose pliers in the water (no net / no handling / single hooks) on Champlain. There is about a million lake trout in Champlain.

I agree with Ron! I'm not sure about the 1,000,000 lakers in Champlain?

Dick
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

Post by popster »

Interesting article

Study: Warm waters increase lake trout hooking mortality

http://www.dl-online.com/news/4292049-s ... -mortality
Bill
"POINTER"