I want to catch a Gar

Share info on fishing Champlain.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

I want to catch a Gar

Post by keithm87 »

Any advice would be great. Seems otter creek is the place to go, but I have no clue how to rig for them or any of that.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: I want to catch a Gar

Post by Reelax »

Rope flies... And gloves...
Matt B
spinner
Species: salmon

Post by spinner »

Winooski river behind the old forest hills which would be between Winooski and Burlington"the red rocks". During the summer when they hold back the dam the come up to the surface in schools of 5 to 20 fish for maybe 10 seconds and then go back down and they do this all day. I have never caught one but my brother has caught a lot of them mainly snagging them with a heavy spoon with a treble hook like a daredevil. I have also seen a lot of dead ones on the rocks were you enter mallets creak.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

There are a lot of them in the South Bay, caught them fishing for pike on the usual pike stuff, bring gloves and needle nose pliers.
Honest John
Species: All interested parties

Post by Honest John »

I caught 4 two weekends back on streamer flies with a stinger hook - 2 in the mississquoi under the damn (no longer there) and 2 on the winooski (prob no longer there), I'd try for dead creek seems like the kind of place the may hang out longer. They gotta be headed out of the rivers post spawn with all of this rain.
karl

Post by karl »

Is your gar (Longnose) pursuit for a record length that can be a skin-mount wall hanging? The "fresh-water barracuda", a goal I would like to pursue myself...I think Champlain record is near 48"...

Keep in mind that the VT. side has a short gun season for carp and gar...
Vtmopar
Species: Everything

Post by Vtmopar »

Ive been hearing about them being caught in missiquoi bay.
Its a big bay.
Goodluck
High Plains Drifter
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Down south around benson and in the narrows has a big population. We see a ton when we were bow fishing this spring. give me a PM if you need more detailed spots that should have summer time Gars.
Don