channel 3 news

Share info on fishing Champlain.
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

channel 3 news

Post by fishingmachine »

just saw on the news that you are subject to a fine of up to $1000 if you don't follow the greeters instructions when you launch or recover your boat,Is this true? Is this actually the law now?
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Re: channel 3 news

Post by keithm87 »

The fine is up to 1k for violating the invasive transport law. There has always been a fine for it so it's not new, and is only an issue if u willfully violate the law and ignore a greeter. I have dealt with the champ greeters a few times this year and they are pleasant and do not slow traffic they are clearly trying to stop inland spread and not worried about champ. Barely look when launching but chat as u prep about stopping external spread. The shelburne ones explained that they were soon going to have a wash available for when people leave that would be an option but not required. Doesn't seem terrible so far.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

IMHO:
I don't believe they can stop the unstoppables. We are far behind the curve ball so to speak. Our lakes have had invasive species in them for years. This action should have been implemented many, many years ago.
I was at two different launches over the WEEK-END. (key word: WEEK-END..the busiest time at the launches) Not a lake steward in sight. How do they expect to put someone at every launch, at every lake, 24/7? Their program is full of holes.
What are they gonna do with all the (bass) tournament rigs that are at a different location/lake every week end?
A fellow fisherman told me he got a hot high pressure wash at one of Vermont's public launches and told me the steward seemed mostly concerned with the trailer and spent a fair amount of time hot pressure washing it...Really?
What about the interior of most every boat trailer I've ever seen? Hollow square tubular steel...how they going to wash that? How is anybody going to clean that? Dip it? HA!
Bilges, live wells, bait wells and the connecting hoses, carpet, riveted seams with gaps, ropes, buckets, towels, swim wear, anchors, fishing gear, scuba/snorkel gear, towables, motor cooling passageways, vehicle bumpers and undercarriages in the water...say what????
All they can do is educate. And that's not going to work either. No matter what the subject matter...education just doesn't stick with so many of us.
I don't believe they can stop the unstoppables.
I wish them luck...and wish the best for all our freshwater water bodies.
Rant over.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Raz is right, it's like putting a ban aid on a gun shot wound......He forgot about the birds that land on different bodies of water and bring the invasive species too...How are we gonna stop that? I think those of us who are on the water every week, week after week already know what to do about taking a little time to do most of the steps necessary to HELP prevent the spread (notice I said help, not stop) of invasive species. Short of dipping everything in hot bleach water, you are not going to STOP anything, just slow it down. The Stuarts are there to do a job, mainly by the State agencies, so we should treat them with a little kindness, they get a lot of flak. They TRY to educate the less informed (ie: weekend warriors and pleasure boaters) who really don't have a clue and some can't even back the boat into the water without 50 tries (you know who I mean). They are the ones who have be educated, but sadly they are the ones most likely not to do ANY steps to prevent it. They want to get in and out since some are dealing with yelling spouses and kids, and the last thing they want to do is spend time cleaning a boat and trailer, either BEFORE or AFTER going to the body of water. The Stuarts aren't going to go away, so just listen to their speech, and answer a few questions and maybe let them know (nicely) that you are aware of the steps and will comply with preventative measures. At one launch I go to the woman see's me now and just does a quick look over and waves me on by because I took the time to talk to her before and tell what I do to "clean" the boat and trailer before and after my trips to the lake. She see's me pulling weeds off everything AFTER I pull the boat out and she smiles and asks if I caught anything and walks on to the next boat. I think it's only gonna get worse so we have to deal with it or sadly get even more regulations.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

People can believe whatever they want, but I am convinced that this bill was created by and with the support of Sen Rodgers to protect tiny Shadow Lake, where he and his cronies own property. It would have been far cheaper to have the state fund the boat wash already there, which the locals are getting sick of paying for, but that would have appeared unethical. Instead he used his power of office to gather the masses to fight for his own monetary interests. I still have not heard what part of the state budget the funds come from, is it F and W ? What part of this do kayakers and pleasure boaters pay for?
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

I agree with your assessment C-Hawk, if you looked at the list of those who spoke at the hearings and were called to testify, shadow lake assoc was incredibly over represented. They had people at most hearings for both bodies as listed speakers. Interestingly there were from what I saw no reps from any of the sporting, or pleasure boat groups represented.
Adkhare
Species: All of em

Post by Adkhare »

I agree the stopping is damn near impossible but if the boat you use is strictly used on one body of water "Champlain" for instance could they give you a sticker or something? My normal steward has finally recognized me and my boat so I don't get the speech, but I give him credit he still does his walk around to look. I guess the thought has the right motivation if nothing else they can feel good that their helping our lakes.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Adkhare wrote:I agree the stopping is damn near impossible but if the boat you use is strictly used on one body of water "Champlain" for instance could they give you a sticker or something?
I agree that water-crafts registered for ONE WATER BODY ONLY would probably be the best defense against spreading invasive species but it would kill tourism dollars...there's a large chunk of Vermont's (and probably every other state) economy that rely on tourist dollars coming from usage of surface water activities. Unfortunately that would never float.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry