Info appreciated

Share info on fishing Champlain.
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Re: Info appreciated

Post by fishingmachine »

here's a tip on running cheaters or sliders,cheaters have to have a small snap on one end and a snap swivel on the other end ,I find 18" is long enough and probably shorter ones will work.I use a multi barrel swivel on the main line that is small enough for the cheater snap swivel to slide over, that way when you reel it up the slider goes all the way down to the main line lure and prevents a lot of tangles.I run 12# maxima ultra green and a florocarbon leader 10#. Saturday we did 6 salmon,4 lakers and a small steelie. Go early,the fish shut off at 10 am...If you need more info PM me.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

fishingmachine

Good Stuff! Never tried that in line barrel swivel!

Does the barrel swivel keep the cheater in place until a fish hits and you begin to real it up?
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
MWM
Species: Salmon

Post by MWM »

If you connect your leader to the main line with a small barrel swivel, it would be on the other side of the release and the cheater will not come near it. I use this set up and agree the tangles are much less frequent!
Matt
fishingmachine

Post by fishingmachine »

tamiron wrote:fishingmachine

Good Stuff! Never tried that in line barrel swivel!

Does the barrel swivel keep the cheater in place until a fish hits and you begin to real it up?
NO, the leader after the barrel swivel must be shorter than the length of the rod(8') I like to keep mine about 4 feet, the slider which is about 18 to 24" is above the downrigger release .so it is about half way down the line when you are actually trolling.
fishingmachine

Post by fishingmachine »

I wish I could put up a drawing of this setup but I can't make the pictures show on this site.Picture it this way,the first thing you do is set your lure back behind the boat off the ball about 30 feet
,and then you drop the ball down to the depth you want to fish,lets say 40 feet,then you take your slider and hook the snap swivel on the line going down to the release and let it slide down the line until it goes where ever it wants to,usually about half way down ,put the rod in the rod holder and you are all set.Now you have 2 lures trolling at different depths on one rod.When you get a hit ,reel like hell to catch up with the slack.Fish on.usually the slider outfishes the bottom lure 3-1
flyguy
Species: atlantic salmon

Post by flyguy »

Whitey wrote:Thinking about buying a fish hawk td. I hear lots about thermocline does this gadget really work? Are they worth 150.00? Thank you
Absolutely worth the investment